PDA

View Full Version : what is this folder used for?

darco9x2
08-01-2005, 06:29 AM
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp

anybody know what this folder is used for? and is it safe to clear it out?

IanMarlowe
08-01-2005, 06:32 AM
don't delete it...it's just temporary files (you can however delete what's in it)

jscheuer1
08-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Um, what's the difference between "clear it out" and "delete what's in it"? Generally it will maintain itself. The files in it are supposed to be temporary, being automatically deleted when the application that was using them closes or is finished with them. However, if a program with files here crashes, it may not remove its temporary files even upon restart and close of the program. Alternatively, when a program crashes, sometimes lost data (if any) will persist in this directory for a time. Also, depending upon the programs involved, the sequence in which they are used to access data in this directory and options selected either in configuration or on the fly while working with said data, files can persist in this folder. Generally, if you've just booted up your machine and there is stuff in this folder, it can be deleted. The only exception would be files created there on startup for a program that launches on startup. Any file of this nature will have a time/date stamp of or later than the current boot session. Any files older than this at startup can safely be removed unless you are looking for 'lost data' as mentioned before.

darco9x2
08-01-2005, 07:20 PM
so if i select all and delete, then restart my coputer will there be a problem?

jscheuer1
08-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Shouldn't be any problem. Keep it in the recycle bin until you are sure (have run all your important programs and know they are working alright).

darco9x2
08-01-2005, 11:25 PM
k thanks. ill try it now.

dd2me
08-02-2005, 06:12 AM
Delete it if you think your system slow down :) there are bunch of rubbish there