PDA

View Full Version : Javascript Error

kathyc
01-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Hello

On my webpage I have an input box named "quantity".
If the user enters nothing or a non-numeric value, an error box is displayed
and the user is not forwarded to another web page.

My code is partly working. It checks for the above conditions and displays the proper error message, but still wants to re-direct the page even if the value of the quantity field is not correct.

Below is my code. Can anyone let me now what I've done wrong?

function CheckQuantity(inp)
{
var sValidChars = "0123456789";
var sChar = "";
var iCount = 0;
var bIsValid = true;
var sTempValue = inp.value;

if (sTempValue.length == 0)
{
alert ("Please enter a valid quantity.");
bIsValid = false;
return bIsValid;
}

if (sTempValue.length > 0)
{
for (iCount=0; iCount < sTempValue.length && bIsValid == true; iCount++)
{
sChar = sTempValue.charAt(iCount);

if (sValidChars.indexOf(sChar) == -1)
{
alert ("Please enter a numeric value for quantity.");
bIsValid = false;
return bIsValid;
}
}
}
}

jscheuer1
01-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Your code looks OK, though a bit more complex than is needed. Basically what you are doing is returning true if the value passes certain tests, and alerting a message while returning false if it does not.

All well and good. But the crucial part is what does your form do with the return value? Part of this would be a result of where this function is called. Pretty much the ideal place would be onsubmit of the form, ex:

<form action="whatever" onsubmit="return CheckQuantity(this.elements.name_of_the_input);">

form contents

</form>

If you want more help we would need to see the form. Better yet:

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

Twey
01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Yes, your code is largely redundant: the following performs the same function:
function checkQuantity(inp) {
if (!inp.value)
return !!alert("Please enter a valid quantity.");
else if (!/^\d$/.test(inp.value))
return !!alert("Please enter a numeric value for quantity.");
else
return true;
}Or even, arguably at the loss of a little readability:
function checkQuantity(inp) {
return !!( (inp.value || alert("Please enter a valid quantity."))
&& (/^\d$/.test(inp.value) || alert("Please enter a numeric value for quantity.")));
}Note the conventions, not universal but widely followed by those aware of their existence: formatting is Java-style (braces on the same line), with a space before the brackets of keywords but not of functions; capitals are reserved for namespaces and constructor functions.

There are three reasons that the return value of a function will not map directly to a processed/non-processed event:The return value was not used as the return value of the event handler, as John showed you above; if you're assigning the handler from script, this maps to a function like:
myForm.onsubmit = function() {
return checkQuantity(this.elements.name_of_the_input);
}; You were using DOM-2 or Microsoft events instead of assigning the function directly in script or code: these systems have their own methods of cancelling an event's propagation, namely event.cancelBubble = true in Microsoft or event.stopPropagation() in DOM-2. An error occurred somewhere in your code: if an error is thrown in the event handler, processing will stop and its return value will be ignored (considered true). If this is the case, wrap your event handler in a try block (try { return eventHandler(); } catch (e) { return false; }) to aid debugging, and check your error console.