PDA

View Full Version : Drop-down lists in a web form

tiff630
07-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Morning,

I am new member and I have a question and hope someone can help me. I have recently taken over updating my department's intranet website. There is a web form that I am updating..and what I would like to do is create multiple drop-down boxes. Basically a person would select something from the first drop-down down and then based on what they select the next drop-down would populate with their options. I have done a little research online and it looks to be something with javascript that can do this. The lists for the drop-down boxes would be long so I"m wondering if I can important the information from an access or excel database (have columns that define what each drop down will have) and link from there. Based on my little research it looks as if there are a few ways I can do this.

I hope I have explained my problem clearly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

jscheuer1
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Chained Selects (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex16/chainedselects/index.htm) sounds like what you are looking for. As for getting these options from a data base, the length of the list of options is unimportant. If you can just find a way to export your list of options in this format:

<option>Name of option here</option>

it will save you some typing. That is assuming you already have said options in a database. Otherwise, "just type 'em out" is as easy as putting them in the database to begin with.

tiff630
07-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Hi,

John - Thank you very much for your help!