PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback/insight on dynamic tab idea.

Falkon303
01-16-2009, 01:59 AM
With ajax tabs, every time a tab is clicked, there is a get request for the content associated with that tabs id.

I am curious if it would be better to first check the innerHTML contents of the associated content holder instead of redundantly calling requests.

Obviously the content will be pulled from cache, but I have a feeling that once the content is loaded, you could set it as permanent innerHTML, and not worry about an unneeded request.

I am not sure if this would provide efficiency in any form, but logically, it seems to make sense that it might, being that requests/posts affect performance on a small scale. With the future of net heading dynamic, this may make more sense..Just an idea. Any thoughts?

jscheuer1
01-16-2009, 06:59 AM
There are cases where you would not want it cached in this manner, not cached at all. What if the content is from a database or simply is updated by the webmaster?

In cases where you (as the designer) know for sure that this will not be an issue, it should provide some performance improvement. But as the page will be cached on the users computer anyway, not much. It should help some servers though, especially during peak usage of a server that may need help during peak usage.

Falkon303
01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
I agree completely, in instances like "chat", or "current users online".

Good to know it would improve performance.... What if there was a variable that communicated that there was updated data?

Would that process hurt efficiency, or provide a more stable solution?

ie:

if (incoming == "incomingrequest")
{
getfunction();
}

It seem like that may be a nice way to control requests in a very sensible manner. ie: "if you don't have anything nice to say", lol.