PDA

View Full Version : Image Slideshow/Gallery Help - Immitate my .gif

myyoungfamily
07-28-2005, 03:36 PM
I wanted to see if anybody knew of or could create image transitions or a gallery that could immitate my .gif at www.myyoungfamily.com. The gif flashes a white image between transitions. This could be done with a custom gallery or an image transition with the ability to set the display time of each slide. I haven't seen anything out there with that capability...
-Jonathan

jscheuer1
07-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Oh, so I take it that is your gallery and you want to get a similar effect using a different, I imagine smoother, technique. There is a gallery here at DD that probably can fit the bill:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

You may like it just as it is without using a white transition but, if you want to modify it to use a white transition, you could simply configure a white image to be every other image in the show. It will not support multiple 'shows' on a page as written but, by using iframes you could make it appear so.

myyoungfamily
07-28-2005, 06:04 PM
So, can you controll the display time of each individual image? As opposed to one set time for every image? How?

jscheuer1
07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
I missed that part the first read through, no I don't think so. In fact all the image galleries of this sort (rotating) use a set time for all slides. However, since this slideshow supports preloading, and a transition from one identical image to another is like nothing has changed, you could set the time per slide to a low amount and the ones you wanted to appear longer, put them in the array two or more times in a row. With preloading, it shouldn't use any additional download time or browser resources.

myyoungfamily
07-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Ok, I'll give that a try. One more question. How can I achieve the effect of the three images rotating side by side? What is iframes?

jscheuer1
07-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Oh Oh, I was hoping you'd know. Iframes are inline frames. They are like frames but, much easier to deal with because no frameset page is needed and less imagination as well. The syntax has many variables but, for something like what you are doing keep it simple:

<iframe src="slideshow1.htm" width="250" height="250" frameborder="0"></iframe>Basically what this does is create an element on your page similar to a paragraph or a division. The big difference is that another page shows through it. In this case 'slideshow1.htm'. If you put three of these in a row and make a separate slideshow page to show in each one, it will appear as though there are three slideshows on the 'container' page (the page that contains the iframes). Set the height and width to that of the slideshow showing through it, plus perhaps a little more. On the 'contained' page(s) where you put the slideshow(s), make the slideshow the only thing on the page and have it be in the upper left corner of that page. Sometimes centering it on the page works better but, usually upper left is best.

myyoungfamily
07-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks! Nothing like learning something new...
-Jonathan