PDA

View Full Version : Runtime create attribute

janakrai
01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
how to create Runtime html tag attribute using javascript?

codeexploiter
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Which attribute you want to create on which tag (element)?

janakrai
01-09-2009, 05:01 AM
i have create select attribute ( multiple ) at runtime ! it possible ?

jscheuer1
01-09-2009, 05:48 AM
First of all, runtime is an imprecise term as regards both javascript and HTML. Do you mean onload, or as the page is being parsed?

If the latter, the easiest way is of course to hard code the attribute to the select tag.

There are at least several other options, here are two -

As the page is parsed:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>
<body>
<select id="myselect">
<option>Something</option>
</select>

<script type="text/javascript">
document.getElementById('myselect').multiple = true;
</script>
</body>
</html>

Onload:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<script type="text/javascript">
onload = function(){
document.getElementById('myselect').multiple = true;
}
</script>

</head>
<body>
<select id="myselect">
</select>

</body>
</html>

rangana
01-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Just a quick follow up question John, is the value of true for multiple attribute valid when doing like that (el.attribute=value)?

I thought it was only multiple that's valid.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#h-17.6

Hope to hear some of your thoughts.

jscheuer1
01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
From the link you posted (emphasis added):

multiple [CI]
If set, this boolean attribute allows multiple selections. If not set, the SELECT element only permits single selections.

In case you didn't know, boolean means true or false. However, I believe you are correct as far as valid HTML/XHTML goes. But since this is javascript, things are different. The bottom line is that the browser will set the valid HTML for the DTD of the page visa vis its own requirements for it once javascript sets the boolean value.

To think of it another way, what I did wasn't exactly setting the attribute value of the tag. I set the boolean value of the property of the object. This has the same ultimate result in any compliant browser. If I had quoted 'true', it would have been invalid unless error corrected.

rangana
01-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. Will take this from you:

I set the boolean value of the property of the object. This has the same ultimate result in any compliant browser.

Twey
01-10-2009, 10:51 AM
If I had quoted 'true', it would have been invalid unless error corrected.No, it would have the same effect — it would be type-coerced. It's only 'false' you've got to look out for, since it's truthy. :)

Not to repeat what John said, but maybe to shed light on it from a different angle: the attribute on the element is boolean (true or false) but HTML doesn't have boolean datatypes, so instead of writing multiple=true and multiple=false in HTML, we write multiple="multiple" or multiple="". In fact, that is mostly for XHTML compatibility: in HTML we would normally use shorthand, just writing multiple or else leaving the attribute out entirely.

rangana
01-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you Twey. That makes a lot more sense.

jscheuer1
01-10-2009, 02:18 PM
No, it would have the same effect — it would be type-coerced. It's only 'false' you've got to look out for, since it's truthy.

In my view, type coercion is a form of error correction. And just to be clear, though I'm pretty sure everyone immediately involved already gets this, false (unquoted) is fine. It's just that once it it is quoted, it becomes a string. Any non-empty string will in this situation be type coerced into a value of true.

Twey
01-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Interesting. I don't think Eich would agree with you, but I can see where you're coming from.

Type-coercion is more of a feature in weakly-typed languages, though, I'd say. Relying upon it like this is of course sloppy and in this case it could be considered a form of error-correction, but I don't think I'd apply that to every case — often it's applied deliberately, with full prior knowledge and intent: for example, when testing a value, we often write if (someObject) as opposed to if (someObject !== null && someObject !== undefined).

jscheuer1
01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Yes, it is also a feature of the language. Javascript is, after all a very error tolerant language in many respects. And I agree with the idea that it's error correction when the code is sloppy, a feature when used intentionally. I'd also go so far as to say there would probably have to be a gray area in there somewhere as well, though the two examples you give seem clear cut.

Twey
01-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Javascript is, after all a very error tolerant language in many respects.Alas!

But my point was that while it may sometimes be utilised as a form of error correction, that isn't its primary purpose: it's merely an innocent language feature that can be corrupted to such a dirty task by a sufficiently deviant programmer.