PDA

View Full Version : I-Frame Ticker Problems

Ambushrollerhockey
07-26-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm trying to run the I-Frame Ticker (version for IE, FF, NS), that you Dynamic Drive folks authored, however, when I go to publish my page (using Netscape Composer- sorry can't afford Dreamweaver, etc.)after inserting the script code properly into my page I get a message that it cannot locate the file "exfile.htm.htm" when I saved the file as "exfile.htm" as instructed and I did not not alter the file name in the source code either. I have tried multiple things to get around this, including publishing the page without associated files, uploading exfile.htm into the root directory separatly using an ftp client. Usually I just end up with a blank ticker window or once I got a the first message to show up but no rotation of messages. For some reason though the script works when I preview the page before publishing it but that's the only place. Also, if I open exfile.htm separately at http://ambushrollerhockey.com/exfile.htm the messages do not rotate. Is this a common bug with this script? Is there something I should be doing differently to get it to work? and why is Composer trying to publish the file as exfile.htm.htm when I publish my page?? Please help with this, it's driving me crazy. Thanks.

jscheuer1
07-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Composer is notorious for adding things to your code without telling you, as are most WYSIWYG editors. Many also dramatically alter code at times. Best to use a text editor (notepad will do) when inserting DD scripts. Have it be the last thing you do before uploading and upload ftp if possible or use your host's live browser based upload utility. Don't put the file back in the WYSIWYG editor after adding the script. Test it out locally in the browser. Your link was broken but referred to a page with three htm's on it that did rotate.

Ambushrollerhockey
07-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Sorry about that- I went ahead and renamed the exfile.htm file (which was working on my computer at work surprisingly) because the source code for the page had it as exfile.htm.htm.htm. So that seemed to do the trick and I was able to edit that file at work as well with a text editor. Everything worked fine on my work computer. But now here I am at my home computer viewing the same home page without having changed anything since I got it to work on IE at my work computer and the script is not running in either Firefox or IE from my home computer. Just the first message is displayed (for both tickers), no rotation. As far as I know both my work and home computer run at least IE 5+.

Why would it run fine from IE on a different computer but not mine, when it's the same html home page file and exfile file and I have refreshed the page and emptied temp internet files on my home computer, and both computers are running recent and compatible versions of IE?? :confused:

jscheuer1
07-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Maybe you are running a local copy of one or more of the files involved without realizing it. Or your home browsers might have javascript disabled.

Ambushrollerhockey
07-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Well I had already specifically changed the file source to point to it's location on my host's server (i.e. http://ambushrollerhockey.com/exfile.htm) and I seriously doubt that javascript is disabled given other javascripts that i have running that are working. I would think that if its a conflict with another script that this problem would occur regardless of the computer I'm browsing from.