PDA

View Full Version : PHP Provider

IanMarlowe
07-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Hi...It's nice to know PHP, but, if you don't want to use your computer as a server, ther's no use. Is there/does anybody know of a good PHP web host (free)?

I've been searching, and finding only ones that require you use FTP to upload, and have your computer on 24 hours a day...any suggestions?

Twey
07-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Lamentably, there's a shocking shortage of free PHP hosts.

finding only ones that require you use FTP to upload, and have your computer on 24 hours a dayMeh? Twenty-four hours a day? Nonsense. No need to have your computer on 24 hours a day; that rather defeats the point of getting hosting.
No reason you shouldn't use FTP; most OSes have an FTP client. Type "ftp" in a shell.

IanMarlowe
07-25-2005, 06:06 AM
but. I can't access it with my computer. I don't have admin rights...

Twey
07-25-2005, 03:43 PM
You don't need admin rights to use ftp, it's pre-installed.
If "ftp" from the command-line doesn't work, a firewall must be involved.

IanMarlowe
07-26-2005, 04:04 AM
i mean, when i click on my FTP link, a pop up says:

username(windows):
password(for windows username):

I have neither...

Twey
07-26-2005, 12:35 PM
No, it wants your details to access the FTP resource. In any case, you can't put files with (most) web browsers. You will need to use the command-line "ftp" tool if you don't have or can't install a graphical FTP client.

IanMarlowe
07-26-2005, 12:36 PM
oh. and yet again my arogance shows. yeah, it works... :(

what do you do once you start ftp.exe? what do you type?

Twey
07-26-2005, 12:48 PM
You use ftp like so:
ftp <host>
enter username and press enter
enter password and press enter
... commands ...
bye

Common commands are:
cd /www/directory - to go to "/www/directory"
ls - to display files in the current directory
put file.htm - to upload "file.htm" to the current directory
get file.htm - to download "file.htm" from the current directory
ascii and binary to switch between ascii and binary transfer modes. In binary mode, files will be transferred literally; in ascii mode, compensations will be made for platform differences (e.g. newlines being converted from Windows style [10, 13] to UNIX style [10]).
close to disconnect from the current host
open <host> to connect to <host>
user to switch remote user (you'll probably never need this)
!command to execute "command" locally (e.g. !cd /var/www to change your current local directory to /var/www)
quit or bye - to exit

There are other commands too, some of which are client-specific. Use "help" for a list, and "help command" for info on command.