PDA

View Full Version : Featured Content Slider IE6 bug?

leblancs
12-19-2008, 10:19 PM
1) Script Title: Featured Content Slider 2.4

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/featuredcontentslider.htm

3) Describe problem:

I'm running the Featured Content Slider v.2.4, which runs smoothly on IE7, FF, and Safari, but on IE6 the script doesn't work and I get the following JavaScript error:

Line: 156
Char: 2
Error: The specified procedure could not be found.

At line 156, I find the following code:

if (typeof targetobject.filters[0].opacity=="number") //IE6
targetobject.filters[0].opacity=value*100
else //IE 5.5
targetobject.style.filter="alpha(opacity="+value*100+")"

Commenting out this statement dispels the error, but the script still doesn't work. With or without the offending statement, the featured content div's simply do not show up, but the pagination links do (but they don't seem to be active).

Any suggestions?

-M@

leblancs
12-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Just a quick followup:

Changing enablefade to false seems to correct this, but of course then it doesn't fade... Is there a way for this to work in IE6 with fade enabled?

-M@

jscheuer1
12-20-2008, 02:30 AM
Use a real IE 6, and I think you will find this problem vanishes.

By way of explanation, there are several, what are know as, 'standalone' versions of IE available around the web, Almost none of these will do filters, and in fact throw an error on code that tries to. You are almost certainly testing in such a 'standalone' IE 6. However, a real IE 6 (or a properly installed 'standalone' version, complete with registry and dll tweaks) will show filters just fine.

TredoSoft makes available an installer that will properly install various 'standalone' IE versions at:

http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

In addition to accurately handling any supported filters, these version also identify as the version number that they actually are, whereas most others identify as the version number of the primary IE browser on the machine.

leblancs
12-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks, j. This is likely the problem, as yes I am running a standalone (necessary since IE7 refuses to play nicely with the full-blown version). I will attempt the standalone link you provided when I return to work on Monday. Thanks!

-M@