PDA

View Full Version : Active desktop

SeaDemon
07-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi all, please excuse my ignorance here but im relativley unexperienced in web coding.

Essentially what i want to do is make a web page that i can have on my active desktop that is a dynamic to do list (check out the attatchment for the basic layout and function).

You can see there is the part that displays the list with check boxes for when they are done. Also there is a section to make a new entry, what i would like to know is how i can go about getting the page to load the info from a file and also save to a file, or perhaps there is another way to do it :confused: that i dont know about.
I think basicly what im trying to acheive is a page with dynamic content that is on my desktop(ie no server).

All im really after is suggestions as to how i should go about this and what area i should be doing research in.

Cheers
Andrew

Twey
07-23-2005, 07:45 PM
File I/O is usually only possible with a server-side language, as having client-side programs accessing files is a security risk.
You might want to try ActiveX, or a signed Java applet.

SeaDemon
07-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanx for that, ive got file IO sorted using VBscripts and the FSO. One more quick question, does anyone know of a good article explaining how to use the document.write method to build parts of the page. I thought i'd use it to build the lists based on what is read from the file.

Cheers
Andrew