PDA

View Full Version : Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu in IE



jmatula
11-29-2008, 03:46 PM
1) Script Title: Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu (v2.5)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/chrome/index.htm

3) Describe problem:
This script works beautifully in Firefox and Safari on my site, but in MSIE (of course), an error is thrown which causes the menu panel itself to be displayed in the top-left corner behind every DIV. Furthermore, the menu will only be (incorrectly) displayed on the first mouseover of the link -- after that, nothing happens at all! Why...?

Here is the site that the script is on to help explain my problem: http://jmatula.co.cc

Thank you so much in advance!
- John

ddadmin
11-30-2008, 09:57 AM
It looks like you're including the menu using Ajax Includes script. Typically this script should only be used to include regular HTML, not complex JavaScript, as IE sometimes will falter over that.

Just to confirm if that's the issue, try adding Chrome Menu directly to your page.

jmatula
11-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Ah! Thanks, that did make it work in IE... kind of.

So all of the menus are displayed position-wise where they should, but now (in IE still) every menu's length is only about 4 or 5 pixels. Adding a "height:auto" or a "height:200px" to the ".dropdownmenu" class or to the actual menu DIV itself doesn't make a difference.

I don't mean to keep asking questions, but now what's going on?

Again, thank you so much!
- John

ddadmin
12-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Can you update your page with the changes thus far? Right now the menu's still being included via the Ajax Includes script.

jmatula
12-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Oops! Sorry, absent minded during this hectic week. My site is now updated.

Note that the new URL is http://jmatula.co.cc/indexTEST.html. Thanks

- John

ddadmin
12-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Ok, there may be other errors, but one obvious one I see now is the DIV:


<div class="chromestyle" id="chromemenu">

</div>

It should wrap around just the main menu headers, and NOT all the sub menus as well as you have now. So something like:


<div style="height:23px" id="middler">

<ul>
<li><a href="http://jmatula.co.cc" rel="dropmenu0">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="#" rel="dropmenu1">Stickfigs</a></li>
<li><a href="#" rel="dropmenu2">2008-2009 Season Art</a></li>

<li><a href="#" rel="dropmenu3">Piano</a></li>
<li><a href="#" rel="dropmenu4">Development</a></li>
<li><a href="#" rel="dropmenu5">Other</a></li>
</ul>

</div>

jmatula
12-06-2008, 05:06 AM
It still is being displayed incorrectly as an "invalid error" in IE, and it is supposedly from "/chrome.js."

(But I did fix that problem -- I didn't realize that it would be affected.. huh)

- John

jmatula
12-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Seeing as how the script that is freshly downloaded from DD works in IE, it looks like I'm gonna have to revert some things.

But of course, thank you for your time (and cleaning up my code, haha!).

- John