PDA

View Full Version : Resolved Pausing Scroller link problem in IE and Opera

macraedavis
11-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Working with the Pausing Up-down scroller

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsspausescroller/index.htm

and tweaked to fit my needs. It works correctly in Chrome, Firefox and Safari. But the hyperlink isn't there in IE and Opera.

My rss feed is description (which is a jpeg) and link only. the idea is that the jpegs will scroll and by clicking on the jpeg you will open an new window to the page of the link. below is the code from the rsspausescroller.js file that is causing me problems.

One other note that I found interesting - I had to remove the closing '>' of the 'a href' line, otherwise the > appeared in the scroller. Leaving the '>' in the code did not help IE with the lack of link.

The location is http://secretswall.com/scroller/scroller.html and, of course, all other relevant files are located in the scroller directory.

function formatrssmessage(divid, msgnumber, linktarget, logicswitch){
var rsscontent=rsscontentdata[divid][msgnumber]
var linktitle='<span class="rsstitle"><a href="'+unescape(rsscontent.link)+'" target="'+linktarget+'">'+unescape(rsscontent.title)+'</a></span>'
var description='<div class="rssdescription"><a&nbsp;href="'+unescape(rsscontent.link)+unescape(rsscontent.description)+'</a></div>'
var feeddate='<span class="rssdate">'+unescape(rsscontent.date)+'</span>'
if (logicswitch.indexOf("description")!=-1 && logicswitch.indexOf("date")!=-1) //Logic switch- Show description and date
return linktitle+"<br />"+feeddate+description
else if (logicswitch.indexOf("description")!=-1) //Logic switch- Show just description
return description
else if (logicswitch.indexOf("date")!=-1) //Logic switch- Show just date
return linktitle+"<br />"+feeddate
else
return linktitle //Default- Just return hyperlinked RSS title
}

macraedavis
11-29-2008, 10:59 PM
I figured out out, posting it here just in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

The 'a href' statement is already a part of the link variable. I am not sure where it is picked up, if it comes from the rss feed or someplace else in the chain of processes that occur. Chrome, Firefox and Safari were able to recognize the partial 'a href that was added to the live by rsspausescroller.js as extraneous and ignored it, but in IE and Opera the partial href statement, negated the full href statement.

Solution - remove the 'a href' statement from rsspausescroller.js but keep the '/a' statement to close the link statement down after the image.

Snookerman
11-29-2008, 11:50 PM
You should also edit your first post, click go advanced and add the Resolved prefix to the thread.