PDA

View Full Version : web page design

Eletricfrog
11-15-2008, 02:24 AM
Hello All:

It has been about 10 years since I had to design a web page and would like to know if anyone has a good site where I may obtain software (free) that I may use. My daughter started a business and I would like to help her design it. Something simple but classy as the logo is Ice Down. Also would like to be able to have a link that will open in the same window (fade in/fade out, or have the diamond split into a V maybe); and have the Ice Down logo somewhat sparkle like a diamond.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eletricfrog

TheJoshMan
11-15-2008, 02:40 AM
The only "semi-decent" freeware I know of would be "GIMP". However, if you don't think that it will take you more than 30 days to complete... You could simply download the trial version of Adobe Photosohp CS3. It's fully functional for the first thirty days. Meaning, if you could design the thing within that time frame, you wouldn't "have" to purchase the outrageously priced program.

Eletricfrog
11-15-2008, 01:57 PM
:) Thank you so much for your reply. 30 days is no problem as I have to have it finished by midnight tomorrow. Any thoughts on how I can make the link open in the same window? Also, do you think the diamond logo will look good with a bit of sparkle as this is a limo company that caters to corporate companies? Again, thank you so much.

boogyman
11-15-2008, 02:35 PM
by default, all anchor <a href=""> tags have a target (open) in the same window.

tfit
11-15-2008, 04:21 PM
For image creation, inkscape works better for me than gimp. But aren't you looking for web editor?

Eletricfrog
11-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Thank you for your reply. I am looking for a template that this classy but simple. Background is going to be black, text is white with roll over in blue which are the colors of the logo. I guess I am hitting a brick wall as it has been a long time that I had to do this. Again, thank you for your help.

BLiZZaRD
11-15-2008, 05:18 PM
a few images, some CSS and basic HTML and you should be set. How many pages is the site going to be? Submittable forms? etc. etc.? Due date midnight tomorrow is tight to do by yourself.. need a hand?

Twey
11-15-2008, 07:45 PM
The best web editing software on the market today is a good text editor. I recommend XEmacs (http://www.xemacs.org/).

For the interactive images and page fade effects, it sounds like you want Flash. The image editors provided should be used to make fallback images. However, I'd be tempted to tell you to skip those entirely. Unexpected animation on a web page is usually a bad idea it distracts from the content and makes the page difficult to read.

Eletricfrog
11-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks Blizzard any help is greatly appreicated.

BLiZZaRD
11-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Glad to help where I can. Start with answers to the questions in my previous post ;)

Eletricfrog
11-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the help Blizzard but its done. The host is having trouble with their site so I can not ftp it up yet...... Turned out they wanted it plain and simple for now which is exactly what I did. At least I know who I can turn to for help again if I need it. :)
Again, thanks for your help.

Eletricfrog