PDA

View Full Version : css popup viewer for pdf

johnsis
11-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I love your css popup image viewer. I can preview jpg, tif all image files. Anyway to preview .pdf files as well. When I put my mouse over the file it just displays a red x. Thanks for your time.

jscheuer1
11-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Warning: Please include a link to the DD script in question in your post. See this thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6) for the proper posting format when asking a question.

That said, I imagine that the problem is a PDF is not an image file. Perhaps another script might be more appropriate.

TheJoshMan
11-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Also, what you're asking for would require the user's computer to have Adobe Reader already installed or the "clearance" level to be able to install it. So you would definitely be looking at trouble if the user did not have Adobe Reader installed, as they would not be able to view the file anyway since PDF files are proprietorially copyrighted to Adobe.

johnsis
11-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Lets assume all the users that want to preview the pdf has adobe reader installed. How can I use the css popup viewer to view a pdf?

TheJoshMan
11-09-2008, 01:55 AM
I honestly don't think that it's possible with purely css. PDF files are only veiwable through an Adobe medium, such as Reader or a browser addon/plugin which allows the browser to display them. However, even if a browser has the plugin/addon installed that does not mean that a PDF file could be displayed using only css/html. If you have ever tried opening a PDF file in your browser, you'll notice it opens a completely different tab/window to do so. This tab is then loaded up with the Adobe Reader application plugin.

It may be possible with other methods like javascript, but that's not my area of expertise.