PDA

View Full Version : cutoff images in Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.51)

nicho14
10-31-2008, 04:24 AM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.51)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1 /fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: I just installed the ulti fade slide show, and its awesome. thanks for all of the work put into it.

the problem i'm having is that the images displayed are positioned out of frame. each image appears and fades just fine in a random order, but they are shifted horizontally to the right and cut off. the default background (white) is shown to the left of the image.

so, how do i center the images displayed inside the viewer?:confused: thanks again.

jscheuer1
10-31-2008, 05:20 AM
Warning: Please include a link to the DD script in question in your post. See this thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6) for the proper posting format when asking a question.

Sounds as though you haven't specified the dimensions for your implementation, though it might be something else:

<script type="text/javascript">
//new fadeshow(IMAGES_ARRAY_NAME, slideshow_width, slideshow_height, borderwidth, delay, pause (0=no, 1=yes), optionalRandomOrder)
new fadeshow(fadeimages, 140, 225, 0, 3000, 1, "R")
new fadeshow(fadeimages2, 140, 225, 0, 3000, 0)

</script>

Highlighted are width and height, respectively in each slide show call.

If you want more help:

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

nicho14
10-31-2008, 05:41 PM
thanks for helping me.

here is the link...

www.nicholasbivins.com

i've got the height and width for the viewer sized up fine, its how the images inside the viewer are not centered that is the issue. :confused:

jscheuer1
10-31-2008, 07:21 PM
I actually thought that might be the issue instead, but what I mentioned is easier to fix if it had been the problem, and I wasn't 100% certain from your description of things what it was.

Here's the thing, the slideshow you are using really doesn't lend itself to centering images of various sizes. This one does:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/swissarmy/index.htm

But it has a slightly different setup, so I didn't want to involve it in the discussion unless I felt you needed it. It has many more options than the one you are currently using, but can be made to look the same, and it will center images.

Now, there also seems to possibly be something else contributing to this (like having zigzag padding, something with your layout), but I cannot be sure of that until we switch over to the other script.

nicho14
11-01-2008, 01:48 AM
ok, i switched scripts to the swissarmy, and the same issue comes up, and i still don't know why. :confused: dammit.

here is the link..

www.nicholasbivins.com

any suggestions for how to move the image inside the viewer, or maybe how to reconfiigure something else that is causing the problem to begin with? thanks for all the help, these forums are awesome. Nick

jscheuer1
11-01-2008, 03:23 AM
I'm still not exactly sure what the problem was. Your current demo wouldn't even load into IE. I rewrote the page so that it at least validates and works as I imagine it is intended to. It's too long to post, so I will attach a .zip archive of it. The most important points are:

I removed the lightbox external script tags, they didn't appear to be being used.

I added some override styles:

<style type="text/css">
* {margin:0!important;}
#container {margin:0 auto!important;}
#content {margin:0 30px!important;}
#slideshow {margin-left:-70px!important;margin-bottom:1ex!important;}
table {margin:0 auto!important;}
</style>

These override styles point to there being something off with your styles, which are too extensive for me to really bother checking individually, though you might do well to take the time. You can be guided in this effort by what I chose to override, paying close attention to anything you might have that the overrides contradict.

I changed the DOCTYPE to HTML 4.01 Transitional, and also corrected a number of plain invalid HTML tags (closing tags for which there where no opening tags, and got rid of some extraneous markup and code for the new slideshow, as well as configured it to resemble what I thought you were going for).

Here's the adjusted page:

In the future, you would be well served to use only valid markup and styles (I didn't even attempt to validate your styles). And to stick with HTML. XHTML is rarely required, and if served correctly, won't even be parsed by IE.

nicho14
11-01-2008, 02:48 PM
wow, John, that was a ridiculous amount of help you just gave me. thank you so much. as you can tell, i'm amateur status at best when it comes to web design. thanks for all your help. :D