PDA

View Full Version : Textual tooltip FF1+ IE5+ Opr7+

Xposure
07-14-2005, 07:52 PM
When I click on the link it, sends me to an invalid page

Do you know how I can stop this from happening?

To see what I mean it's at http://www.dave.prodigynet.co.uk/html/help___advice.html

Please help?

jscheuer1
07-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Here is a typical link from your page that is doing this:

<a href="../dynamicindex4/index.html" onMouseover="changetext(content[3])"><small>Do I need to insure my pet for the journey?</small></a>Notice that it is set to:

href="../dynamicindex4/index.html"which doesn't exist on your server. You have at least three choices:

1 ) Change it to a link to a page that does exist on your server, preferably a page that (in this particular case) relates to pet travel insurance.

2 ) Rewrite the link like so:

<a href="#" onMouseover="changetext(content[3])" onclick="return false;"><small>Do I need to insure my pet for the journey?</small></a>That way it will not open any page when clicked.

3 ) Combine the two approaches:

<a href="petinsurance.html" onMouseover="changetext(content[3])" onclick="return false;"><small>Do I need to insure my pet for the journey?</small></a>That way when a javascript enabled browser hovers the link, they will see the content displayed to the right (as it is now), if they click on it, nothing will happen. When a non javascript enabled browser hovers the link, of course the will get no content displayed to the right but, if they click on it, they will be taken to petinsurance.html (provided you have made one available). A useful variation on this last idea is to prepare one page with all the content that is displayed on the right assembled on it. Put anchor names for each section and set the links to take you to that page and the appropriate anchor ex:

<a href="info.html#petins" onMouseover="changetext(content[3])" onclick="return false;"><small>Do I need to insure my pet for the journey?</small></a>Then on info.html have a section that looks like this:

<a name="petins"></a>
<br><big><b>Do I need to insure my pet for the journey?</b></big><br>This is at your own discretion, specialized travel insurance is available.

Xposure
07-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi John,

All working perfect now.

Thanks fro all your help.

Dave.