PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2 crashing with Ajax Tabs 2.0

bmenk
10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
We've been using Ajax Tabs 2.0 successfully for nearly a year and it has worked flawlessly. Recently (in the last couple of weeks or so), it's been causing Firefox to crash completely (as in dump it out and send in a bug report crash).

I can clear the Firefox cache and it will all work again for a while. I can't make this happen in IE 6, IE 7, Opera, or Safari.

The Apache logs show an error that varies, but which always seems to show a "File not Found" for some aspect of the script, so I've been pursuing it as a pathing problem. I've added absolute paths to the locations for the ajaxtabs.js file plus the css file.

An example from the Apache log looks like this:
[Tue Oct 21 14:41:57 2008] [error]File does not exist: C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/mtblog/BusinessTools/tabcontent.css, referer: http://filename/and/path/

(This server is behind a firewall so I'm afraid you won't be able to see it directly).

At this point I'm trying to understand if there's anything in the javascript code that could make it lose track of the path to its component parts.

Since I don't speak javascript very well, I thought it best to ask here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bobb Menk

jscheuer1
10-22-2008, 03:45 PM
If you import content that has a stylesheet link on it and that href is no longer valid for the page it is being imported to, that might be it. But FF 2 generally will (should) not crash on missing resources. Is this problem repeatable across various computers, all configured differently but all using FF 2? Or is it specific to one computer or one set of computers with similar configurations? In any case, I'd try using FF 3, it is the latest version of FF and has been for some time. It may have a bug fix for this.

Also, in general you should not be accessing files directly from the hard drive:

C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/mtblog/BusinessTools/tabcontent.css

And, if you are using a local server for testing, it may be partly at fault, in that with a live installation, the code may not exhibit this issue.

Warning: Please include a link to the DD script in question in your post. See this thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6) for the proper posting format when asking a question.

bmenk
10-23-2008, 03:58 PM
John - Thanks for the quick repy.

I don't think any of the material being imported by the script use a CSS file link, though I will be double checking to be certain.

The problem was happening to all users of Firefox 2 with the company. I've been able to get the web applications team here to confirm that it appears to be a bug in FF 2.0.0.15-17. They can't make it happen in 2.0.0.14 and earlier, not in 3.0.3. Since they'll be upgrading all of us to FF 3.0.3 in the next week or so, I'll merely check the CSS thing you suggest. If that doesn't fix it, I can reconfigure the pages temporarily while we wait for the Firefox upgrade to come down the corporate pipe....

Thanks again.

Bobb Menk