PDA

View Full Version : could this be emulated with js/dhtml ?

moscarda
10-21-2008, 04:23 AM
i would like to create a giant one-page website, with a menu that loads in the center, and to navigate to the various sections, you would drag the "canvas" so to speak, to that section.

i've seen this concept done in flash before, as in this site:

http://www.mariagrossmann.de/

but i'd like to do it without flash, and without all the bells and whistles.
i really want it to work the same, no using horizontal/vertical scrollbars.

any ideas?

magicyte
10-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Well, if you want to do this w/o flash, try actionscript (similar to flash [sorry]) or java (like C/C++). You CAN do it with JavaScript, but it would make your page really slow. It wouldn't run smoothly either. If you use a compiling language, it will work better and you will LOVE it.

-magicyte

Nile
10-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Not true Magic, your page will not run really slow. And flash and actionscript are together, if someone says they don't want to use flash, you couldn't do this in a webpage:

<script type="text/actionscript">
function drag(null)::void(0) {
goToAndDrag(_root.element) // not valid at all... seriously I just mixed stuff together [as 2 and 3]
}
</script>

Or something like that. It wouldn't work. Java, C, or C++ wouldn't be the answer either. It defendantly be js.

jscheuer1
10-22-2008, 05:18 AM
A javascript library would probably be a good bet for this, but still no easy task. I would favor jQuery if it has all of the effects needed, which it very well may, due to its compact nature and generally smooth operation. Mootools would be my second pick as its effects are generally very smooth as well. I have not liked what I've been seeing in the more recent versions of prototype.js (movement transitions sometimes appear jerky), but that may be due to poor implementations in the code I've seen it used with.