PDA

View Full Version : PHP mail() Hotmail

JasonDFR
10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Who has the solution for using mail() to successfully send emails to xxx@hotmail.com email addresses?

974,000 results are returned when searching google for "php mail hotmail", and a TON of "solutions" can be found, but I have not found one that works.

--You can skip this part if you want--

I have a database full of email addresses of people who have requested information about an upcoming event. My boss wants to send emails to all of them about the event. 80% are hotmail addresses. This seems unusual in itself, but it's true.

I will have a database full of email addresses of people who have bought paid for tickets to the event. Likely 5000+. We need to send "tickets" to each of these email addresses.

I've not dealt with bulk email like this before...

--Continue reading--

1. Who can tell me how to send mail to HOTMAIL addresses using php mail()? (for example an email asking a new user to validate the email address they just signed up with)

AND

2. What is the best solution for sending bulk email if you have email addresses in a mysql database? (Not spam)

Thank you all very very much!

I can't wait to learn how to do this.

Jason

BabblingIdjit
10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Take a look into swiftmailer (http://www.swiftmailer.org/)

JasonDFR
10-16-2008, 06:57 AM
I have some more information regarding the first post in this thread.

I think that the problem is not with the php mail() function, rather it is with how our email server is configured.

Email messages to hotmail.com and some other domains, osu.edu being one, will not be delivered.

Messages from our mail server are being marked as SPAM or "the message scored extremely high on the spam scale."

Can anyone confirm my thoughts about this and point me to some good advice on configuring the mail server so messages to hotmail.com will be successfully delivered to the recieptents?

Thanks a lot!

Jason

Twey
10-16-2008, 08:20 AM
HoTMaiL maintains a rather over-zealous spam filter with dubious motives, and as such many of us have decided to boycott it, setting up an automatic responder for mail originating from HoTMaiL servers. More information can be found here: http://www.hunsicker.com/boycott.html.