PDA

View Full Version : JSP vs JAVA, what cover first ?

leonidassavvides
10-03-2008, 07:23 PM
I am reading JAVA:How to program 7/e DEITEL/PH, 4th chapter finished just now, well since I want to focus on JSP what you recommend to cover to reach the two chapters in the book at the end, about JSP[JAVA SERVER PAGES] ?

djr33
10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Java is a language. JSP is sorta a dialect of that language, from what I understand, but not really something on its own. So, you will use the same general scripting as with Java, but just in the context of JSP.
It's something like:
You need to attend business meetings in Chinese. You can either just learn Chinese and then be able to learn a very formal dialect so you will fit into the business environment, or you can start with only the very formal dialect and JUST learn that.
Obviously it'll be harder to learn just the formal dialect if you only do that, but it will be less to learn, so it'll take less time.
But if you want to learn to have a normal (not business) conversation in Chinese anyway (about sports, traveling, or anything else [just like other programming projects]), then it makes a lot more sense to have a strong base in Chinese overall first.

(Of course if you do learn just JSP I'm sure it'll help you learn Java later if you want, but it would probably make sense to learn Java first if you're doing both.)

Twey
10-04-2008, 09:00 AM
It isn't a 'dialect', it's just a way of embedding Java code into HTML — an interface to Java. You will need a thorough understanding of Java in order to make good use of it.

peter_budo
10-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I am reading JAVA:How to program 7/e DEITEL/PH, 4th chapter finished just now, well since I want to focus on JSP what you recommend to cover to reach the two chapters in the book at the end, about JSP[JAVA SERVER PAGES] ?

Reading through whole book or you will miss important bits of information. The book is good but I prefer my 6th edition :p

leonidassavvides
10-04-2008, 09:46 AM
There are two chapters at end of the book about JSP, well is needed read ALL prior chapters and after enter JSP or ... ?

Twey
10-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Yes, all of it. You need to understand Java, not just JSP — JSP alone will be useless.