PDA

View Full Version : Make a forum with ASP?

wizkidweb16
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey. I'm new here so I wanted to know how I can make my own forum with ASP. Does anybody know? The most I know is that you might need a server to have a forum. Can somebody please tell me how to do that?

metal-cx
07-07-2005, 05:07 AM
u will need a server (duh) and lots of knowledge. its not like someone can just tell u how to make a forum.. ull have to learn alot, probly for a few months ... y not php tho? and y not just buy a good forum software?

SomeBodE
07-07-2005, 12:20 PM
There's a great FREE forum for ASP called Snitz Forums.

You can get it from their website here:
http://forum.snitz.com/

I hope it works well for you. I've been using this forum software for years on a commercial site with great success.

Betterboy_st
07-08-2005, 07:57 AM
1. Download webwizforum version 7.9 above...
2. Upload to hosting
3. Test forum :) Example: htttp://yourserver/webwizforum/

Niuroy
07-26-2005, 10:40 AM
first . U must have an Server or a Virtual space
second. Find a program (Forum)
third. upload it to ur space
fourth. run and debug

knifepoint
07-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi all. I have just downloaded some forum software from here http://forum.snitz.com/ and i dont know anything about making them what do i do? i have web space from my isp.

Twey
07-30-2005, 04:25 PM
I would rather imagine you simply upload it, though I don't have an ASP-capable server to test it on and I don't know ASP.

knifepoint
07-30-2005, 04:46 PM
i havent done anything yet i dont know where to put all hte files. I have just downloaded the software

Twey
07-30-2005, 05:46 PM
You can put them wherever you like, as long as it's within your public_html (or equivalent).

zoopzoop
08-01-2005, 04:58 AM
this is directed toward people who have little knowledge of basics of setting up and running the ASP snitz forum. http://forum.snitz.com/
this post will seem pretty basic to people who know a lot about ASP and databases, but then again this post isn't for people who already know about them.

this forum is not hard at all to set up as long as you understand a few details about what you are in fact doing.

this asp forum runs off of a database file.
the database file (usually microsoft access based .mdb file) is where all of the posts, user information and configuration information is stored. this file needs to be accessible from a read/write directory or be hosted on a separate server.

the forum is run from an ASP SERVER. if you are running from your own built server, then you need to install the appropriate server software to run ASP scripts. if your website is hosted somewhere else, then the host provider will be resposible for managing either the server software (again it's usually on a separate server in these cases) NOT all hosting providers provide PHP or ASP. sometimes you have to pay extra to get these. Find out before downloading Snitz forum whether your host provider supports ASP.

Find out what your host actually provides (you might find you are being ripped off) in terms of server provisions and database management.

when you find that out.
download the software. upzip it into its own directory.
start getting familiar with the readme file in the folder.
this walks you through the basics of the server configuration file.

once you get the config file setup the way you want it (granted your host provider allows you databases and asp server access)
then upload it to your webhost directory (a subdirectory accessible from the internet)

ie. if your website is:

http://www.example.com

and you access your site by uploading files through ftp through:

ftp://user:password@ftp.example.com/pub

then you would put your files into the: "/pub/forum" directory
or something appropriate along those lines.
so that it would be accessible through the
"http://www.example.com/forum/" link

once you have your config file set up (by walking through the readme documentation included with snitz.forum) and uploaded the files to your folder

from there, the readme file will tell you to run the /forum/config.asp
page. this will guide you through the initial configuration of the forum.

again, this post is meant to give a very basic introduction to the process of getting the snitz.forum running.
if all of this seems like it is a little too complicated for you, i recommend talking in person to someone who has experience with ASP and working with databases on hosting servers.
the snitz forum doesn't really require you to have any ASP experience to run the forum. it is completely GUI based. once you get the config.asp file set the way you want, you never have to look at the asp code again (hypothetically)

as a side note, trial and error works well but, if you don't have experience working in html, asp, java, or any other programming language, then you might just want to ask for help from someone who does.

i hope this helps.

disclaimer: the information posted above in this post are my thoughts and oppinions and i cannot be held responsible for the malicious or inappropriate use of any information obtained from this post. any and all registered names and trademarks in the above post are owned by their respective representative owners.

knifepoint
08-02-2005, 10:19 PM
ok thanks for your help :). i have a web folder that i can put files in and i have a few basic web pages accessable from the internet. i also know some basic html scripts but nothing in depth. i will be getting a server for medal of honor alied asault from multiplay.co.uk and i want to start a clan. thats what i want the forum for. the only problem is i dont know anything about php or asp :(

bubba.daniel
08-03-2005, 01:31 AM
LOL
a disclaimer, thats nice stuff

wizkidweb16
08-03-2005, 01:53 AM
Does GeoCities support Snitz Forums?

Twey
08-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Pfft, no. Free web hosting services don't tend to support any kind of server-side scripting at all.

wizkidweb16
08-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Oh. :o

kinggem
09-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi everybody !:)
Help me make free forum ?
thanks!;)

jscheuer1
09-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi everybody !:)
Help me make free forum ?
thanks!;)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&q=%22freeware+forum%22+asp&btnG=Search