PDA

View Full Version : Switch Content Script --crashes Safari

billhector
07-06-2005, 10:25 AM
I am using the switch content script here:
http://www.umass.edu/oapa/topics/students.shtml.

It is working fine until I tested it in Safari 1.3, when it crashed (it may crash in other versions also, I don't know). The page loads fine, I can expand one level fine, then when I try to contract Safari crashes.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I would very much like to use this script.

jscheuer1
07-06-2005, 10:39 AM
First thing I've got to know is - Does the demo page here at Dynamic Drive exhibit the same behavior in Safari? I don't have a Mac, at least knowing that will give me an idea of what to look for.

billhector
07-06-2005, 10:52 AM
First thing I've got to know is - Does the demo page here at Dynamic Drive exhibit the same behavior in Safari? I don't have a Mac, at least knowing that will give me an idea of what to look for.

Thanks for the reminder, John, I totally forgot to check that. The demo does work in Safari. No problems there.

So, any ideas of what I am looking at? I am using the script untouched. I am using it externally.

jscheuer1
07-06-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm surfing right now in Konqueror which I fired up being the closest thing to Safari I have. In Konqueror your page doesn't work at all but, that doesn't mean much. I just checked the demo here, same thing. I noticed the script is not rated for Safari, few here are. When I get some time, I'll see what I can make of things though. Very interesting that the demo here did not crash.

billhector
07-06-2005, 02:00 PM
I noticed the script is not rated for Safari, few here are. When I get some time, I'll see what I can make of things though. Very interesting that the demo here did not crash.

Yeah, while not "rated" for Safari, my experience is that when things work in FF, everything is okay, and the script works in FF for Mac (and windoz).

I am going to go through the html and look for crazy line breaks or other such things that might be causing the choke. Who knows?

mwinter
07-06-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm surfing right now in Konqueror which I fired up being the closest thing to Safari I have.Presumably your version of Konqueror is more up-to date than mine. So, does the Switch Content-like script (http://mwinter.webhop.info/dd/collapsible-section/) I wrote in May work for you as it did for me?

In Konqueror your page doesn't work at all but, that doesn't mean much.If mine does work, it'll be interesting to see what the differences are. It could be an alternative for the OP to look at.

Mike

billhector
07-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Fixed!

An interesting lesson: be very careful about nested lists to display your hidden content. It can get very tricky, and things I would do otherwise, I can not do with this script (like making a sub-sub nested list -- one sub seems to work fine). Again, this problem only appeared in Safari, and it was not an issue with the script.

Thanks all.

jscheuer1
07-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Yes Mike, it does work in my version which is 3.1.4 under KDE 3.1.4 - apparently though the OP has solved his problem. What version of Konqueror do you have?

mwinter
07-06-2005, 04:59 PM
[...] 3.1.4 under KDE 3.1.4 [...] What version of Konqueror do you have?The same. I'm surprised. My distribution is old (September 2003) so I know why I have KDE 3.1.4. However, the latest version is 3.4.1 (released just after I wrote that script). I wonder: is Cygwin that far behind?

I'll warn you (just in case you're not aware) that that particular version really should be out-of-date, and shouldn't reflect the current level of neither Konqueror nor Safari.

If I could get Glibc to compile at all (without modifying the source code, which I really don't want to do), and compile other tools with some confidence of success, I'd have built my own distribution, but its stubborness is quite unbelievable. My current software shouldn't be too obsolete to start the process, but perhaps it is?

Mike

ddadmin
07-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Hmmm this is just another reason why I think I need to get a Mac soon, even if it's just to test out web pages and scripts.