PDA

View Full Version : Featured Content Slider - How to stop the slide rotation when a movie played in IE?

BumpStop
09-11-2008, 03:26 PM
1) Script Title: Featured Content Slider

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/featuredcontentslider.htm

3) Describe problem:

We've been using this awesome script for a few months now, but we would like to add a movie. No big deal.

We don't want the movie to autoplay, but have the user interact to start it. We've embedded the movie with autoplay turned off, but the slide keeps rotating when you click Play in IE 6 and 7. In Firefox and Safari, the slide rotation stops when you click play or when you click anywhere within a slide, just as if you clicked on the previous or next slide, the auto rotation stops.

How do we adjust for behavior to work in IE?

Thanks,
Garrett

BumpStop
09-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Any Ideas?

ddadmin
09-16-2008, 06:16 AM
The script reacts to the onClick event when the user clicks anywhere within a slide. The problem then sounds like an issue with IE not reporting a click when it's done inside a Flash object. FYI the pertaining code inside the script for this feature is:

sliderdiv["onclick"]=function(){ //stop content slider when slides themselves are clicked on
featuredcontentslider.cleartimer(setting, window["fcsautorun"+setting.id])
}

Assuming that's what's going on, is there anyway to modify your Flash player to explicitly execute a JavaScript code when the play button is clicked on?

BumpStop
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Not sure, the video is from PreviewMe.TV

Here is our example. Like I mentioned before, it works fine in Safari/FireFox

REMOVED URL, no longer valid

Thanks
Garrett

ddadmin
09-17-2008, 01:08 AM
I see the problem, which appears to be what I suspected. This is not so much an issue of the script, but IE not sending click events that's occurring on the Flash player up to the containing DIV, so JavaScript can detect and react accordingly when that happens. In FF/ Safari, the browser does this. Having said that then, the solution really is to find out if there's a way to call a JavaScript code when the Flash player is clicked on- you may want to try asking PreviewMe.TV.

BumpStop
09-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for that little investigation. I'm working with PreviewmeTV now and relayed your information.

Thanks,
Garrett