PDA

View Full Version : Add text area for each Item

CentumCasting
09-07-2008, 09:46 PM
If someone wants to purchase a name plate for a trophy, I can make a form with a text field that the purchaser can enter what they would like the name plate to read.
What I can't for the life of me figure out is if they would like 2 or more plates how to add an additional text area.
I found a site that added a text area for every item purchased. So if they changed the quantity to 10, 50, or 1532, they would get 10, 50, or 1532 text areas.

I hope I am wording this correctly.
THANK YOU

brentnicholas
09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
you have two options:

Use ajax and upon clicking the 'add a new plate' link/button add a new text area to the document.

The simple method if you're not into doing ajax, have a check box on the form indicating they want to do another 'plate' upon form submission and have the code keep looping until they are done. You could do this in a frame to save page loads.

BN

CentumCasting
09-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Thank you so much for the reply.
I have been reading up on ajax, just in this forum, and still have no clue.
What you are suggesting is exactly what I don't know how to code.
While you are reading.... Is there a way to have an "add to all" button next to the first text area? For example, if they typed in their team name as 'Tampa Bay Derby Darlin's' in the first text field/area, they could then opt to have that text automatically be added to the next field, instead of having to type the same thing in over and over. Do you know of any html or ajax that I could adapt to what I need?
Thanks Brent, thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,
-T

CentumCasting
09-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Thank you so much for the reply.
I have been reading up on ajax, just in this forum, and still have no clue.
What you are suggesting is exactly what I don't know how to code.
While you are reading.... Is there a way to have an "add to all" button next to the first text area? For example, if they typed in their team name as 'Tampa Bay Derby Darlin's' in the first text field/area, they could then opt to have that text automatically be added to the next field, instead of having to type the same thing in over and over. Do you know of any html or ajax that I could adapt to what I need?
Thanks Brent, thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,
-T

brentnicholas
09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Ok, so forget the ajax... it's pretty advanced and you need to be very comfortable with javascript.

Hoestly, I think you need to step back and do some planning prior to building your application. Paper is best to use. Draw your screens, determine how the UI will work, ask your self what the simplist method to accomplish your goal is and think that through a bit. Break the tasks into very small test cases to prove that you can do each idea you have.

You'll then be able to take most of these test cases and put them all together into a working application.

Lastly, you might want to see if you can hire someone off the forums to code out the parts of the application AFTER you have planned and spec'd it out.

What server engine are you using anyway?