PDA

View Full Version : Hv menu v5.5 and embeded youtube video

Dazza30
09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
1) Script Title:HV menu v5.5

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm

3) Ive been embedding you tube video's for a new page idea on my site, all was going well until i noticed that the hv menu sub menu's drop down behind the video's.

I haven't uploaded the page to my server yet as its a work in progress, so i cant show you the problem.

Could someone please help?

codeexploiter
09-04-2008, 12:08 PM
provide the link of your site without that I think it will be more difficult to find a solution.

Dazza30
09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi thanks for the reply

Ive uploaded a rougth copy to a spare server, with just enougth of the external css to make it work.

http://www.superbargain.co.uk/videotest.html

Dazza30
09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Heres a link to the javascript file that runs the HV menu

http://www.superbargain.co.uk/exmplmenu2_var.js

Heres another that i think is related,

http://www.superbargain.co.uk/menu_com.js

Dazza30
09-05-2008, 07:22 PM
If no one can help me with the HV MENU could someone please point me in the direction of an alternative css or javascript menu that has submenu's please?

Dazza30
09-07-2008, 02:52 PM
If no one can help me with the above questions, could someone point me in the direction of another forum or somewhere else i could get help?

Dazza30
09-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I was just told on another forum that the problem with the HV menu could be solved by altering the z-index css property.

Could anyone offer some advice of how this could be done? im familiar with css2.0 but ive not had to use or alter the z-index yet.

TheJoshMan
09-11-2008, 07:07 PM
some_element{
z-index:999;
}

z-index is like "layering" things on your page. The higher the number of an element, means it will overlap other elements which have a lower z-index.

Dazza30
09-11-2008, 10:40 PM
some_element{
z-index:999;
}

z-index is like "layering" things on your page. The higher the number of an element, means it will overlap other elements which have a lower z-index.

Thanks for the information Nyne Lyvez

I take it the some_element{ part of the css is the style number?

TheJoshMan
09-11-2008, 10:53 PM
yes, "some_element" would be whatever element you are trying to style... whether it actually be an "element" or a certain "class" or "id".

TheJoshMan
09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm recanting my previous post...

I hadn't actually downloaded the script you're working with to test, I was just giving basic info about css.

To fix your problem, you need to open the file "menu_com.js" and look for this line:

var Ztop=100

When you've found that line... Replace it with this:

var Ztop=1001

This will change the z-index of the layer that menu is on.

Hope all this helps!

Dazza30
09-12-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm recanting my previous post...

I hadn't actually downloaded the script you're working with to test, I was just giving basic info about css.

To fix your problem, you need to open the file "menu_com.js" and look for this line:

var Ztop=100

When you've found that line... Replace it with this:

var Ztop=1001

This will change the z-index of the layer that menu is on.

Hope all this helps!

Thanks again Nyne Lyvez

Ill alter the code in the next few minutes and let you know if it works.

Dazza30
09-12-2008, 11:22 AM
I tried changing the var Ztop to 1001 with no luck.

Thanks for your assistance

TheJoshMan
09-12-2008, 12:22 PM
try adding this to your css stylesheet...

object,parm,embed{
z-index:50 !important;
}

That is assuming you left the bit of code I gave you in my previous post to change the z-index of the menu to 1001.

Dazza30
09-12-2008, 12:38 PM
try adding this to your css stylesheet...

object,parm,embed{
z-index:50 !important;
}

That is assuming you left the bit of code I gave you in my previous post to change the z-index of the menu to 1001.

Do you mean i should go back to the menu.com.js file and change the var z-index back to 1001?

TheJoshMan
09-12-2008, 12:54 PM
yes, change Ztop back to 1001....

then add the above to your css stylesheet

Let me know if it works or not

Dazza30
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
yes, change Ztop back to 1001....

then add the above to your css stylesheet

Let me know if it works or not

Hi Nyne Lyvez

Sorry about this but the HV menu doesnt have a related css file, ive been looking through my files trying to find a css reference to it but there isnt one.

I should have known this, but im having a bad day.

Im not sure how i can proceed with this now, obviously is completley controlled via the two javascript files.

Sorry to waste your time

Thanks for your help though, much appreciated

jscheuer1
09-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Geez, the z-index shouldn't matter (though may be required for a final tweak). The menu should already go over normal elements. I thought it was commonly known around here, but apparently not. For HTML to appear over Flash, you need wmode transparent:

Add in this language to your object/embed tag -

Add the following parameter to the OBJECT tag:

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

Add the following attribute to the EMBED tag:

wmode="transparent"

Dazza30
09-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Geez, the z-index shouldn't matter (though may be required for a final tweak). The menu should already go over normal elements. I thought it was commonly known around here, but apparently not. For HTML to appear over Flash, you need wmode transparent:

Thanks jscheuer1

Ill make the alterations later.

Dazza30
09-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Hi jscheuer1

Ill have a play around adding the extra code you posted, but could you please show me where to place it in the code below?

<object width="230" height="200"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bJqCFzHUekk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bJqCFzHUekk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="230" height="200"></embed></object>

Dazza30
09-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I seems to have worked, thanks a lot for your help.