PDA

View Full Version : Blinking cursor in searchbox

burginsteve
08-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I've built a webpage to be used as my homepage. It contains several search boxes such as GoogleSearch, BBC weather and my WebMail login. In IE7, when you click in any of these boxes (to make an entry) the cursor blinks very fast, not at 1 per second as normal but 4 per second. Yet it blinks normal in FF3. As anyone any ideas why?

jscheuer1
08-12-2008, 04:08 PM
We would need a link to the page to have any hope of figuring this out for sure. But in IE, sometimes even in other browsers, Flash and/or animated .gif on a page can cause things like that, as can scripts that do repetitive tasks via timeout or interval. With any browser, that sort of thing could be just about anything though, including things as simple as markup or style. To determine the cause, you may have to remove things from the page one at a time until the problem goes away.

burginsteve
08-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for that... I've removed the boxes one at a time but with no success but there is a flash object in there, never thought of that. Here's my website (http://www.dos2.co.uk/). will try your idea... thanks

jscheuer1
08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
I think it may be a combination of things. If I remove the main stylesheet, it fixes it. But then I tried removing only the top half of the main styles, no help, then I tried removing only the bottom half - still no help. If I remove the first script and leave all the styles, that fixes it. If I remove only the second script, it fixes it. Those two scripts are related, I guess from their names. But if I remove only the third script, that fixes it too, and that one is unrelated, but removing it causes errors that may stop other scripts.

This one would be very hard to track down, perhaps (for all practical purposes) impossible. What I'd suggest is removing all scripts and then putting them back one at a time (in groups if any two or more require each other to function). When you find the script or scripts that cause the problem, then we could try going through those, but they may be quite complex.

burginsteve
08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
I think I have found the culprit. If I remove this script from the <body> of the page...

<script type="text/javascript">
//Syntax: var uniquevar=new animatedcollapse("DIV_id", animatetime_milisec, enablepersist(true/fase), [initialstate] )
var collapse2=new animatedcollapse("cat", 800, true)
</script>

it stops the problem.

I've also noticed that even with the script present, when the Visitors Online 'module' is closed, the problem stops, open the 'module' and the problem returns. Open the 'module' and open the collased DIV and the problem stops... wierd. Does that give you any clues?

I was intending to use the collapsable DIV to insert some help text about Visitors Online but I could use HideReveal script.

jscheuer1
08-13-2008, 03:28 PM
That's really odd. I'd go with using HideReveal if that works. However, in my demo copy that I made before, if I remove the the offending script, the visitors online still opens and closes, it's just not with the smooth action of animatedcollapse.

So the problem may be that you are currently using both HideReveal and animatedcollapse on that section. But, since I don't know how HideReveal works, where it might be being initialized for visitors online, etc., I cannot say for sure.

If that's what is happening, then perhaps removing HideReveal from visitors online would fix things too, and leave you with a smoother action.