PDA

View Full Version : Force a file to download without server based scripts?

Shad0wSn1per
08-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Hi -

I'm new to these forums... and to HTML so go easy on me.

I'm trying to set up an "intranet" of sorts on my PlaystationPortable's memory stick that can be accessed by the web browser, requiring a username and password, etc (no fancy protection, just so that you can't directly get in through the PSP without entering the correct login details). I have everything running smoothly. The login page works beautifully, and the internals of the little site are great, and it can be accessed fine through the PSP. The only problem to it is I want files to be able to be stored within it, then "downloaded" when you press the corrosponding link. This works fine in windows, it "downloads" (more like copies) it fine. But for some reason when I click the link on the PSP it tries to open it instead of opening a save dialog box.

What I'd like to know is: Is there a way I can force the file in question to download / open a save as dialog like it would if I were downloading from anywhere on the internet without needing server scripts?

Thanks

jscheuer1
08-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't know a PSP if it bit me. But, as with any user agent, what happens when you click on a link is determined by its settings. Unless you set something up server side (which I tend to think doesn't apply here), there is really nothing you can do about that. However, if you make the files you wish folks to download .zip archives, almost all user agents will open a save/open/run dialogue for them. But PSP may not be designed to save files at all, in which case there would be nothing you can do for it.

I imagine that you could Google:

PlaystationPortable download files

and get some relevant information (along with a lot of stuff about files you can download for your PSP).

Does PSP even have a writable hard drive? If not, there would be nowhere to save a file to.

motormichael12
08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Does PSP even have a writable hard drive? If not, there would be nowhere to save a file to.

You have a good point; I believe the games/music/videos/etc. have to be on a UMD (little CD thing in a plastic case that the PSP reads like a computer reads a CD) or on the memory stick (which would have the intranet on it)

Shad0wSn1per
08-11-2008, 12:18 AM
I've been researching around a bit, and I've come to the conclusion it must not be possible without employing some sot of server-side script. Looks like I'll have to look for another way...

Thanks for your quick responses anyway, much appreciated. :)