PDA

View Full Version : AnyLink Drop Down Menu - Highlight Parent Link

mattster
06-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Script: AnyLink Drop Down Menu
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/dropmenuindex.htm

Hi,

I am using this script successfully but i would like the parent link to be highlighted when the menu pops up, for clarity.

So, for example if i have this:

<a href="default2.htm" onClick="return dropdownmenu(this, event, menu2, '200px')" onMouseout="delayhidemenu()">News Sites</a>

Clicking on "New Sites" will display the menu and i would like this hightlighted (using my css definitions). Obviously i could use a:active but the problem is it doesn't clear itself when i move off the menu and elsewhere...

Please could some one help me in modifying this.

Many thanks.

jscheuer1
06-30-2005, 07:47 PM
I have a feeling you are looking for more than this but, the way you describe it, this will work and may be all you really want (I'm no mind reader). OK, define two classes in the style section for the items you want highlighted - one for the normal state, the other for the highlighted state. These classes can be whatever you want and include whatever definitions you want but, an example is:
.anyNorm {
background:white;
}
.anyHlight {
background:lightblue;
}Then (from your example):
<a class="anyNorm" href="default2.htm" onClick="this.class='anyHlight';return dropdownmenu(this, event, menu2, '200px')" onMouseout="this.class='anyNorm';delayhidemenu()">News Sites</a>

mattster
07-04-2005, 09:09 AM
This is exactly what i want but unfortunately it does not work, it seems to break the code and the menu does not display...

Are there any other options?

Thanks.

jscheuer1
07-04-2005, 09:54 AM
I made a booboo, sorry. The whole idea is fine but I wrote the events wrong. Use this for the HTML part of this scheme instead:
<a class="anyNorm" href="default2.htm" onClick="this.className='anyHlight';return dropdownmenu(this, event, menu2, '200px')" onMouseout="this.className='anyNorm';delayhidemenu()">News Sites</a>Basically it should have been 'this.className=' not 'this.class='.

mattster
07-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks - that works a treat. I should have noticed that myself!

mattster
07-04-2005, 02:44 PM
OK, for various reasons i have had to switch to:

AnyLink CSS Menu
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/anylinkcss.htm

and unfortunately your previous method does not work with that, since (for some reason) the onMouseOut does not reset the className.

Anyhow, what i would really like to do is go a bit further still and to trap the parent link (the "anylink") for the dropdown menu (something like "dropmenuobj.parentElement" - or whatever, i do not really know) and slip this into the code somehow by creating two variables called "parentClassOn" "parentClassOff", each being assigned a css class.

By doing the above i could then do something like the following:

var parentClassOn = On
var parentClassOff = Off

/* in the function to display the menu add the following */
dropmenuobj.parentElement.className = parentClassOn

/* in the function to hide the menu add the following */
dropmenuobj.parentElement.className = parentClassOff

This would (i belive) improve the menu somewhat as it would act more like other menus that do display the parent link as highlighted.

Please could you (jscheuer1) or someone help me with this.

Many thanks in advance.

M