PDA

View Full Version : Pausing RSS Scroller suddenly stoppen working (error: Not possible to reach RSS file)



Beverleyh
07-31-2008, 11:22 PM
1) Script Title: Pausing RSS Scroller

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsspausescroller/index.htm

3) Describe problem: Script has worked perfectly for 2 months then started giving errors this afternoon.

The error I'm getting is
Sorry: It's not possible to reach RSS file http://www.jemthingsandstuff.co.uk/newsfeed/newsfeed.xml

My newsfeed page is here: http://www.jemthingsandstuff.co.uk/newsfeed/demo.htm

I tried suggestions here:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8672

I also tried suggestions here:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-9326.html

Which says to paste this link reference into my browser -
http://www.jemthingsandstuff.co.uk/newsfeed/lastrss/scrollerbridge.php?id=cnn
The browser prompts me to download the file which I gather is a sign that something is wrong with php.
Have you asked your web host about any changes to PHP lately?
The answer is yes I did ask but they say they havent changed anything.

Cache files are being written in the cache folder.

It worked perfectly on mine and the 9 other sites it is also being fed into up until about 9 hours ago when it suddenly started giving errors.

I made the most recent news headline update yesterday and it was working fine after that (checked on all sites too and it was working)

Why one earth would it suddenly stop working after 2 months of use?

Thanks

Beverley

ddadmin
08-01-2008, 06:25 AM
There may be other issues, but the first major problem I see is that your XML file itself has syntax errors preventing it from being a well formed XML document. If you call the file http://www.jemthingsandstuff.co.uk/newsfeed/newsfeed.xml in your browser, you'll notice the error.

Run your feed above into Feed Validator (http://feedvalidator.org/) and make sure it's a valid feed.

Beverleyh
08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi ddadmin,

I've replaced my feed for a very simple example that is now valid - what are my next steps?

Thanks

Beverley

ps - I just downloaded a fresh zip of the files and the demo's not working now either.

ddadmin
08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Ok, script still doesn't work I see. Next, make sure your cache directory is in fact chmodded 777, and that the path to it inside scrollerbridge.php is correct:


$rss->cache_dir = 'cache'; //path to cache directory on your server relative to scrollerbridge.php. Chmod 777!
$rss->date_format = 'M d, Y g:i:s A'; //date format of RSS item. See PHP date() function for possible input.
$rss->cache_time = 0; //Global cache time before fetching RSS feed again, in seconds.

Also, during this testing period, set cache time to 0 to make sure it's not caching any problem files. Upload the modified scrollerbridge.php to your server, and try again.

Beverleyh
08-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi again,

Yes, everything is set as you said - cache folder to 777 and on correct path, cache_time to 0.

I also just checked fopen in the php (4.4.1) info list and its set to "on".

What next?

Bev

ddadmin
08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Is your server inadvertently modifying .xml files? Your RSS feed is invalid once again: http://www.jemthingsandstuff.co.uk/newsfeed/newsfeed.xml

Other than the above, it seems like you have everything set up correctly. Lastly, are files being created in the cache directory?

Beverleyh
08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi,

Yes, files are being created in the cache.

I just got a message from my webhost: "It turns out that our administrators have blocked all TCP outbound connections from the paid server you are on due to the high rate of hacked web sites"

But now I am even more confused as the feed seems to be working again.
I also think my webhost has restored earlier versions of the scripts and the xml feed as its now back to the one from a few days ago.
I will look into making it properly valid again but other than that it seems to be working OK.

They said they havent changed server settings but they must have - so far what they have told me seems to be a hugh contradiction.
BTW - I have no idea what "TCP outbound connections" are. Would you be able to clarify that one for me too please?

Thanks for all your help so far - I do appreciate it.

Bev

ddadmin
08-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not a server guru, but TCP outbound connections would suggest that it covers all outbound connections, which would include PHP's ability to reach out and grab external content. If that's true, then it overrides the fopen() setting, so it wouldn't matter if the later was turned on. Again though, I'm definitely no expert on this.

Beverleyh
08-01-2008, 08:16 PM
That explains why the DD demo wont work now straight out-of-the-box now - its reaching out to feeds on 2 other servers/websites.

ho hum. It is still a mystery why it broke and fixed itself, apparently for no reason. I asked my web host to double check let me know what changes they made over and above the TCP outbound connection block so I could pass on the info/fix/solution to you guys as it might help other users so I'll just see what they come back with.

Thanks for your help

Bev