PDA

View Full Version : Check this Out

TheBigT
06-27-2005, 02:02 AM
I was wondering if someone who had different size screen resolutions could check out my page and make sure it looks right... normally it does but I am mostly concerned about that 1280x1024 screen resolution sometimes 800x600 gives me problemts. They are the worst with my backgrounds.. if you can it would be greatly appreciated.. if you also have extra time can you do an IE and firefox check too. Scroll on the pages to make sure that everything looks fine.. thanks in advance.

http://home.comcast.net/~allbonz89/sc/
WARNING: This sites home page contains a script that has a short intro period. During this intro period there is a diagram of a sexual organ. If you are uncomfortable around diagrams then please do not visit. (this is just a diagram and not a true picture... it is meant as a joke but I am just posting this warning in case there are really young children that might not understand the humor behind this. Nothing rated X or R but definatly PG-13.)

Tony

jscheuer1
06-27-2005, 05:36 AM
IE:

In all three of the below screen resolutions the purple and yellow menus at the top are hard to read (get smaller as they go back like an attempt at creating depth) and overlap, looks somewhat intentional but, poorly executed. The rotation interface is not very intuitive, took me awhile to bother trying it, the buttons for it looked uninviting and it was unclear what they might do. Perhaps, having the rotation activated onmouseover of the background items would look better and be more intuitive. Text on left could be justified and/or given a more restrictive right margin.

800x600 - Hall of Fame with radio buttons obscures parts of the text on the left.

1280x1024 - OK, kind of spread out looking though.

1024x768 - Text on left touches Hall of Fame in some spots

FF:

Basically the same as above in each resolution except text on left in 1024x768 isn't quite as close to the radio buttons, still looks like it got away from where it was supposed to be though.

Loved the intro! Wanted to see more generals' pictures, with names and short (comical?) bios to their right.

mwinter
06-27-2005, 01:26 PM
I can't shrink the viewport width below 1000px otherwise the poll covers up the update text. That's what happen when you start absolutely positioning everything. If you can:

Move the poll code near to the top of the document source, make sure it has an explicit width, and float it right. Use margins to move it away from the viewport edge if necessary.
Use a top margin or relative positioning to shift the main content away from the navigation widget, not absolute positioning. Also, add a right margin that is as wide as the poll. Don't add a width.
If I were you, I'd use a table to mark-up the updates. There's a clear tabular relationship between the dates, and the update that occurred on that date.
On a purely stylistic note, use typographical quote marks around “stone age” (“ and ”).

Mike

TheBigT
06-28-2005, 02:33 AM
Thank you everyone.. this will greatly improve my webpage.

TheBigT
06-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Well I changed a bunch of stuff and remade some of the stuff... I never put Stone Age in quotation marks but I did make some other changes that no longer affect how the page looks. I will look into changing that script some, I don't know how to make it appear better though.. for the depth thing.

TheBigT
06-29-2005, 12:37 AM
I have a question.. if I want to set a margin at the top that does not move at all even when the user scrolls up how would I do that. At first I thought a frameset but aren't frames bad?

TheBigT
06-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Fixed.