PDA

View Full Version : RSS Displayer Help!

digitalbobdeluxe
07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
1) Script Title: RSS Displayer

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex18/gajaxrssticker.htm

3) Describe problem:
Hi, This is a great script but I'm having a couple of problems.

I have it producing 3 feed sources with 20 entries, with 4 entries per page.

Firstly is that the labels are all wrong and consistently show the wrong label.

Secondly the first 'page' seems to update fine when a new story appears, the second does a bit but the third and fourth pages do not update at all - I thought they would all 'flush through' as new news came up.

I would really appreciate some help on this!!
Cheers and thanks
Rob

Here is my code

<script type="text/javascript">

var socialfeed=new gfeedrssticker("newsfeed", "newsfeedclass", 6000, "")
socialfeed.addFeed("Google", "http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=david+bowie+album+uk&ie=UTF-8&output=rss") //Specify "label" plus URL to RSS feed
socialfeed.addFeed("BBC", "http://newsapi.bbc.co.uk/feeds/search/news+sport/david%20bowie") //Specify "label" plus URL to RSS feed
socialfeed.addFeed("Digg", "http://digg.com/rss_search?search=david+bowie&area=promoted&type=both&section=all") //Specify "label" plus URL to RSS feed
socialfeed.displayoptions("label datetime") //show the specified additional fields
socialfeed.setentrycontainer("li") //Display each entry as a DIV
socialfeed.filterfeed(20, "date") //Show 15 entries, sort by label
socialfeed.entries_per_page(4)
socialfeed.init() //Always call this last

</script>

And here is the page http://www.digitaldeluxe.net/rss/feeddemo.html

ddadmin
07-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Apparently other people have been having the same issues with this script as you on the forums. I'm going to take a closer look at them next week, and post an update to the script if I find any answers.

digitalbobdeluxe
07-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi
Thanks for looking into it!

digitalbobdeluxe
07-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Hi
Not sure what is going on but now nothing works, without me touching anything. I just get a 'Retrieving RSS feed(s)' error message - is this because you are doing something 'behind the scenes'?
Cheers

ddadmin
07-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Nope, nothing's changed yet with the RSS Displayer script on DD, and either way, it doesn't matter. This script relies on Google Feed API to fetch the feeds, so the only changes that may affect the script running on your page would be from Google, if that's actually the cause of the stalling message.

digitalbobdeluxe
07-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi
Yeah, it's back, really not sure what happened there!
Thanks - any joy on the script? It's still the same as the issues above.
Rob

ddadmin
07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Yep, please see the last post here and try out the modified .js file: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30222

digitalbobdeluxe
07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Admin

Sorry but no change I'm afraid, it is exactly the same.

To be honest the thing that gets me is not the labels, I can just about handle that even though they are all wrong - at the end of the day I can just make then white and tiny on a white background until you guys can sort the problem out.
The real problem is "page" 2 hardly ever updating - and "pages" 3 and 4 are always the same, they never change and that makes the script unworkable for my sites.

If I change the sources, the same thing happens.

If this helps - I have a Linux server, Ubuntu....it's a fully managed server and has had no problems ever since it was set up.

Rob

digitalbobdeluxe
07-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I have a few other servers and sites to try this out on, so will try it out on them as well, just to see what happens.

ddadmin
07-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Hmmm back to the drawing board I guess. Just to confirm, the "label" issue only occurs in IE (and not Firefox) for you right? That's what I'm seeing at least. Secondly, as far as the "sub" pages not updating, can you clarify what you mean? Unlike a scroller for example, this script always shows just one page of RSS items.

digitalbobdeluxe
07-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi
Tried it on other servers with the same result.

I'm using 3 browsers on both Mac and PC - Safari, FF and IE - it's the same on all of them.

Basically I have 3 feeds - BBC, Google and Digg.
I have 4 entries on my web page with a filterfeed set to 20. The page the refreshes every 6000 milliseconds, bringing up the next entries each time.

here is the page for you
http://www.digitaldeluxe.net/feeddemo/feeddemo.html

So if you hit 'refresh' the first 4 stories are all good and they change as and when.
the second 'page' starting with "David Bowie - Live in Santa..." - doesn't change and is always the same
the third 'page' starting with "Bowie hits back...." never changes.
and the fourth starting with "8 kids movies..." also never changes.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th are always the same. When a new story comes out, shouldn't they all 'flush through' and all move down one? Therefore the story at the end disappears.

The label issue is still there - seems it is random when you close a page and then open it again, changes the labels all the time.

Hope this helps!!

digitalbobdeluxe
08-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Admin

Any news? I really want to go live but can't because of this.

I had 2 friends check this out and they tried out the script and entered the same details as me and they get the same problem.

Cheers
Rob

ddadmin
08-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Sorry for the delay. This is a very elusive problem, and unfortunately due to my severely limited time constraints, I won't be able to take another stab at trying to fix it at least during the next 1-2 weeks. There are a few other scripts I've promised people I'll be updating in the meantime.

If this is a really urgent issue and it's worth it, you might want to consider paying someone (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29) to investigate the problem with their full attention for you.

digitalbobdeluxe
08-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Well thank you for the answer and for being honest.

At $30 an hour, we're probably talking of a lot of money so not really an option. If anyone is reading this and would do it for a couple of hours work then great but if the problem is very elusive then I expect I would have to pay a small fortune.

With 4 friends now saying the same as me, it is obvious that the script has flaws, and I wouldn't recommend anyone download it until these are sorted out. I have spent many hours on this and am now forced to have to wait until you have the time to fix the problems.

I'll be in touch in 7 days or so,
Cheers
Rob

ddadmin
08-06-2008, 08:11 PM
I understand, though $30/hr is merely a suggested rate I've posted. With issues like this, some coders may be willing to work for a bounty fee- that is, a set amount to give it a stab. You can always post the paid request and see if the offers are reasonable and within what you're willing to pay.

digitalbobdeluxe
08-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Hey admin

One week later - any news??

How come it works fine on your demo page and yet doesn't when I or my friends try it?
Now that is strange!

Rob

digitalbobdeluxe
08-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Sorry Admin but this just keeps getting buried.
Any info on the update?

There are obviously a lot of people who can't use the RSS Displayer and Ticker due to the errors and bugs.

No-one came back re. paying - so now I'm in a situation where I want to go live but can't. I bet there are many other people in the same boat as me, so I think this should be addressed.

Thanks
Rob

digitalbobdeluxe
08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
It's been 2 weeks now - any news??

digitalbobdeluxe
08-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Do I just keep asking and you ignoring me?

The script does not work.

I suggest you take it down immediately and stop wasting people's time. I think it is very unfair that you are offering something and claiming that it works when it so obviously doesn't.
You said yourself that loads of people are having the same problem but you're not doing anything about it!

digitalbobdeluxe
08-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi,

Can anyone help!!

Here are the major problems with the RSS Feeds Displayer and RSS Ticker scripts, which have been agreed on by fellow developers. There are more but here are 3 main problems.

1 - When the script refreshes the page (to give more feeds) the feeds it produces never change. The first display is great and always updates automatically but after that, nothing. You get stories but they never ever change and are always the same.

2 - Also these refreshes are out of date - ie, 2006. I'm only using Google and BBC and a simple email to each of them have confirmed that those feeds should not be there. When the refreshes not only don't work but are out of date, well, you can see the problem...
Why are they appearing like this? No idea.

3 - The tags are always wrong and are simply random. There is no consistency at all.

As you can tell from this thread I have been asking these questions for weeks but for some reason I am now being totally ignored.
What do I do?
I really want to use the script as I think it is the best looking one out there but it has major major problems that need to be addressed.
Why do I feel like the one being out of order here!

ddadmin
08-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi:
You're not being ignored, at least not singled out that's for sure. :) As mentioned in my last post, all my attempts at tracking down the problem so far have failed, and when you deal with so many questions from so many people on a daily basis, you have to pick your battles to get to most of them. After probably more than 2-3 hours total looking at the issue and not finding a solution, I have to make the decision to put this problem aside for now as I work on other issues with other scripts. I may eventually return to the problem and take another stab at it, but you definitely shouldn't take that as some sort of guarantee on when that will happen. The urgency of your problem means you basically have two options IMO:

1) Try and find another script on the web that works the way you need it to.
2) Put up a bounty on the "DD scripts Paid Help (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)" section and see if someone else has better luck than I did with the issue.

digitalbobdeluxe
08-28-2008, 06:21 PM
OK, so you lose 2-3 hours and everyone else loses a lot more!

Fair enough, however, as you accept that the script is wrong, I certainly do and others have confirmed it for me, are you going to take it down in the meantime?

I'm just thinking of others here - after all why should they waste their time as well?

At the end of the day what you are claiming works - doesn't. And in my opinion everyone should be told about it.

And for what it's worth, for anyone looking at this, if you use this script,

Do not use feeds from more than one source. If you do, the tags will be wrong, the dates do not come out properly and if you use more than one page refresh, then that too will probably not work either.
The only way this script works 100% is to use ONE feed source and ONE page. Which sort of defeats the whole idea of the purpose of this script.

Sorry admin, but you have to accept that you are allowing a script to be downloaded that does not work as you claim it does - so I think people should be told.

Rob