PDA

View Full Version : All Levels Menu Help



smitsmah
07-21-2008, 11:42 PM
1) Script Title: All Levels Navigational Menu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddlevelsmenu/index.htm

3) Describe problem: I installed the All Levels Menu on a site I'm working on and everything is moving along until I tested it in IE (looks great in Firefox!). In IE when you reach the third level (including the main div) and hover over a link to the fourth level, the link line (and all those below it) drop down to about a line and a half with an empty space between the link and the bottom border of the link above. The Demo (#2 - sidebar) works fine when I open it up on the server and doesn't seem to have the same problem. I've combed thru the lists a zillion times and I can't find anything out of place.

I'm wondering if I'm supposed to change the CSS to allow for the third and fourth level? It's an extremely long menu so I don't think you want me to include the code. Is there anything that comes to mind??

ddadmin
07-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Firstly, make sure your page contains a valid doctype (http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/doctype.shtml) at the very top. If that doesn't help, please post a link to the problem page, plus which versions of IE the problem occurs in.

smitsmah
07-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply. When I discovered this new script I had just finished completing validation for the entire site using:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

When I added the All Levels menu it was no longer compliant with 4-5 errors resulting from the new code. One that comes to mind is that it didn't '...support rel="ddsubmenuside1"'. My priorities shifted since the menu was ideal for what I was trying to accomplish so I removed the doctype and W3C verification links from all of the pages and installed the "All Levels..." menu.

As I mentioned, it worked beautifully in Firefox. The problem only occurs in IE (I'm using IE7). I've since removed the script from all but one of the pages on the site until I can get this worked out. The page (which I had converted to PHP with an SSI in mind) is:

http://www.nccvt.org/news2.php

This page is no longer set up for SSI and the All Levels script (in full) is in the source code. All of the other pages (also php) are switched back to DD's Any Link menu for now. The news2 page is not linked from any of the other pages.

I would appreciate ANY suggestions you can offer!!! (Hope I didn't confuse you).

ddadmin
07-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Ah yes, the "rel" attribute inserted anywhere besides in the A element invalidates a document. I'll look at possibly changing the menu's design so the attribute is no longer added to the LI element. However, whether your document validates or not is completely separate from whether a script runs properly or not. If your priority now is to get the script working in IE, you should add a valid doctype at the top of your page. If that still doesn't fix the behavior of the script, then I know it might be something else (rather than the presence of a valid doctype in IE).

smitsmah
07-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Assigning the doctype did the trick!! You're a genius... thank you! Now if we can find a workaround for the "rel" attibute I'll go back and replace the doctype to the rest of the site and change the menus back.

I was so excited when you posted this new script. I had been looking for something like this for weeks. DD comes thru again!

ddadmin
07-23-2008, 06:05 AM
I'll be modifying the structure so "rel" is added to the A element of each menu item instead of LI the next time the script is updated (probably in a week or so).

smitsmah
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Thank you. I'll watch for it.