PDA

View Full Version : Menu item hiding under other elements

ill_comms
07-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi All,

I've been creating a menu system with DOM and XML data. It hides, slides, glides, tabs, but do you think I can get it to popout. I've attached a cut down version of it.

It requires cookies and has only been tested on IE 6 & 7.

Just open default.html. And proceed to the "Accounting" menu item, there you will see that the sub menu items have a right arrow next to them, indicating that they too have sub menu items that I'd like to popout.

The blue DIV that is showing belongs to the third menu item and I've only allowed this one to constantly show. As you'll be able to see it is partially hidden under other elements on the page, which is what I'm trying to resolve.

I would like to keep a parent-child relationship if possible for event bubbles later.

The code that's causing the drama is on Line 820 in the *.js file.

Have been trying to fix this for some time now so any help would greatly be appreciated!!!

Regards Hayden

jscheuer1
07-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't want to run your Active X code without being certain it wouldn't harm my system. However, the script is so huge that it would take quite a bit of reading to determine its safety. I can tell you that the issue you are talking about usually can be dealt with using z-index style, as long as object (all IE, except for Flash objects which can have their wmode set to transparent) and select (IE 6 and less) tags are not involved. Selects in IE 6 and less may be dealt with using z-index and an 'iframe shim', or by simply moving the select tag away from any region of potential conflict.

As regards your script, this could possibly be worked out like:

j_menu_item_div2.style.zIndex = 10000;

for an element that you want to stack on top of others. The higher the z-index, the closer to your eye the element gets.

ill_comms
07-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Hi John,

I understand what you were describing and tried putting it in place however even at a zIndex of 900000 which should wipe the other contestants out of the game it still was hiding.

Any other ideas?

Regards,
Hayden

ill_comms
07-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi John,

Since the zIndex wasn't working I looked through parent level elements and I've found a nasty little element with overflow set to hidden.
Thanks for your help!!!

Hayden