PDA

View Full Version : HV Menu with iFrames

joshb
06-23-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm wondering if it's even possible to use the HV Menu in a page with an iFrame.

What I mean by this, is that I have an horizontal menu with an iFrame immediately under the menu. When I hover over the menu, the contents won't spill over the iFrame, which is what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Josh.

jscheuer1
06-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I just set up the default menu that comes with the hv menu package. I then changed it to horizontal and put it at the top of the page. Next I put an iframe directly beneath it. The menus drop over the iframe. So, I don't see what the problem is. I imagine that if the menu were in its own iframe it would not be able to spill out over its own iframe borders.

joshb
06-23-2005, 05:18 PM
I'm working on an internal server and therefore cannot paste a link to the website.

However, I can paste the code I'm working with currently, to see if it helps.

I was wondering if you could possibly post a link to a webpage where you have the menu working with the iFrame. From there, I think I would be able to get it to work.

Worst-case scenario, I will recreate the problem (hopefully I won't recreate the problem) once I get home later, put it up on a webserver and post again.

Thanks again,
Josh.

jscheuer1
06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/example.htm

Use:

News - General - MSNBC

I did observe that if there is a banner on the page loaded into the iframe and that banner has a high z-index, then the menu will not drop over the banner.

joshb
06-23-2005, 06:07 PM
I wonder if it's because I'm loading PDF files into the iFrame.

I've tried just about everything as far as z-indexes and positioning goes, it just won't work for me.

jscheuer1
06-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Yep, it's the PDF's. I'm not sure what the work around is but, it would probably involve accessing the display or the visibility property of the iframe at certain points in the menu operation. Setting the iframe's display to none then to block or visibility to hidden then to visible.

joshb
06-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Ugh, that sucks.

Thanks for all your help though, I'm glad I don't have to spend way too much time on something that apparently won't work.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could use to accomplish this? I was thinking of using a CSS Menu, but just wondering if you knew of anything easier/better.

Thanks again,
Josh.

jscheuer1
06-23-2005, 07:53 PM
I really have no experience with this. I was able to verify that it was the PDF's by experiment. One sure fire solution would be to allow enough space for the drop downs above the iframe. Depending upon how much room this would require, this could be made to look OK presentational-wise by putting some content in this area. Perhaps a disclaimer or clarifier about the material to be displayed in the iframe.