View Full Version : extra image in lightbox

ketels
07-04-2008, 05:22 PM
1) Script Title:
Lightbox

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...box2/index.htm

3) Describe problem:
I'd like a "watermark" on my lightbox images but I can't put it in the image. Instead I'd like a div on top of the image with an other image.
Is this do-able!?

jscheuer1
07-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Your link is broken, do you mean:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/lightbox2/index.htm

?

If so, that script already puts an overlay over the image for navigation, although I don't think it was the intention, this also prevents (for image groups) most right click copying of the image but not PrtSc copying. Nothing you do will prevent the image from being copied by anyone with a little knowledge of browsers though, and a watermark almost always detracts from the appearance of an image. So if you really want to frustrate copying, the watermark would have to be part of the image itself. You shouldn't put any image on the web that you intend to sell. You may use a lower res copy as a demo. If it's just your copyright you are concerned with, all items published on the web are copyright. If there is ever any significant harm to you from a violation of that copyright, you can sue.

ketels
07-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Your link is broken, do you mean:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/lightbox2/index.htm

?

If so, that script already puts an overlay over the image for navigation, although I don't think it was the intention, this also prevents (for image groups) most right click copying of the image but not PrtSc copying. Nothing you do will prevent the image from being copied by anyone with a little knowledge of browsers though, and a watermark almost always detracts from the appearance of an image. So if you really want to frustrate copying, the watermark would have to be part of the image itself. You shouldn't put any image on the web that you intend to sell. You may use a lower res copy as a demo. If it's just your copyright you are concerned with, all items published on the web are copyright. If there is ever any significant harm to you from a violation of that copyright, you can sue.

Shall I take that like you can't help me?!
I know that a watermark will detract people and all that.
Still... Is it possible to do?

jscheuer1
07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Possible, yes. I might even whip it up if I get bored. However, as I say, there is no real value in it. Those who want the image will get it regardless of any watermark that you superimpose over it with javascript. If you are committed to protecting your images with a watermark, the watermark must be a part of each image.

People with their images on the web for the first time, and/or who are novices about how copyright and the web work, often get worried about losing control over their images for a variety of reasons, few of which make any real sense. The one area in which I can sympathize is sales. Sales of the actual images. If that is your concern, I repeat - do not put full quality versions of your original images up on the web - they will get stolen.

If you are selling print quality images, you can put up optimized (all images on the web should be optimized anyway) versions that would be of a fine enough quality to view on the web, but not good enough to print. If you are selling clip art type designs, or original images meant to accompany web articles, any kind of web quality graphics - watermark each image.