PDA

View Full Version : Omnislide in IPB ... Anyone done it?

lightsoutgolf
07-03-2008, 05:18 AM
1) Script Title:

2) Script URL (on DD):

3) Describe problem: Hi guys, I cannot seem to get Omnislide to work, I am building a new forum and want to customize the skin areound my omnislide menu, It works fine in the preview but will not work at all when put into the board header

Has anyone ever used Omnislide in an Invision power board?? and if so what information do you need from me to tell me what Im doing wrong??

Thanks for the help guys
Zach

jscheuer1
07-03-2008, 04:18 PM
We often have to tell people to be more specific in their questions around here, but perhaps your question is too specific. I wrote the Omni Slide script. I have no experience with IPB though. I might be able to figure out the problem if I had a link to a page that demonstrates the issue. Like if you could make up a dummy IPB page, as an orphan on your board and give us the URL to it.

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.

lightsoutgolf
07-05-2008, 07:17 PM
The only problem is that in order to view an IPB board you have to be a registered member. I am certainly willing to provide you administrative access if it will help my board be able to use this menu.

If you have the time and would not mind taking a look at it pm me or reply here and i will set you up on the board as an admin so you will have full access to the admin control panel and board header/footer etc.

I have seen similar menus on other boards, I am just not aware if it is the omnislide or not, but i am determined to get it on there.

on another note, sorry for the detail, i write customized paper-less software databases and do database consulting in my day job and i have learned to give as much detail as possible in every aspect of everything i do. But the fact is i am just not too knowledgable about uploading .js files and having them work on a forum apparently

I would guess that I need to upload them to my root directory? I tried that and it did not seem to work, i also tried adding script tags and the code from both files, and the result was inconclusive so i just thought i would come to the source for help

thanks for your time and effort

Zach

lightsoutgolf
07-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Shameless bump! :) .. anyone???

jscheuer1
07-08-2008, 11:49 AM
You can PM me with the info. About the detail, I just meant that by specifying IPB, you were leaving out a lot of people. BTW, I've been on IPB's without logging in, at least enough to see the general layout and to help with fixing scripts, etc.

You may upload the .js files to anywhere on your server, as long as their location is accurately referenced in the external script tags which appear in the source code of the page(s) that use them.

lightsoutgolf
07-11-2008, 01:04 AM
ahh I see .. sorry about that .... how about anyone who has gotten omnislide working on their site?? starting with where in the root directory they uploaded the .js files??

jscheuer1
07-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Since your Omni Slide scripts are in the root, and the forum is in the forums directory, and there could be other pages in other directories or in sub-directories of the forums directory that will use the scripts, it should look like so on the page(s) that use these scripts:

<script src="/mmenu.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="/menuItems.js" type="text/javascript">

/***********************************************
* Omni Slide Menu script - John Davenport Scheuer: http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/
* very freely adapted from Dynamic-FX Slide-In Menu (v 6.5) script- by maXimus
* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
* Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full original source code
***********************************************/

</script>

That will allow them to be accessed there in the root from anywhere on the site. However, this is just basic file and path notation, the general theory of which would apply to any resource (like an include or an image) used by any page(s) on your site.

lightsoutgolf
07-11-2008, 05:36 PM
script works perfect ... is there somewhere i should put it for it to only be seen within the forums???

and Now that I have the menu working the background in the menu has changed from white to black ... I want it white .. how do I change that??

EDIT: It is NOT black in the demo ... so I dont think it is in the menuItems.js it only has a black background when I punlish it to the website ... and I have tried it with two seperate skins getting the same result both times

Thanks
Zach

lightsoutgolf
07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
and now apparently IPB has locked me out of the CPANEL??? wtf?? I dunno but i tried to login and aint nothing happening

jscheuer1
07-12-2008, 03:50 AM
and now apparently IPB has locked me out of the CPANEL??? wtf?? I dunno but i tried to login and aint nothing happening

Very very unlikely that the menu has anything to do with that. Probably just a temporary problem with your host. Contact them if it persists.

As for the styles for the links in the menu, these styles must be on or linked to the page:

<style type="text/css">
/*Menu Links*/

/*NOTE: anything not specified for the #(menu id's) a selector and its pseudo classes
may be inherited in some browsers from other 'a' element styles (if any) on the page*/

#menu1 a {color:black;background-color:white;text-decoration:none;text-indent:1ex;}
#menu1 a:active {color:black;text-decoration:none;}
#menu1 a:hover {color:black;background-color:#FFFF99}
#menu1 a:visited {color:black;text-decoration:none;}

/*End Menu Links*/
</style>

Adjust as desired.

lightsoutgolf
07-12-2008, 03:54 PM
jscheuer1 ... you sir are a lifesaver ... thank you very much ... now I just have on last question ... is there any particular reason it is opening all the menu links in a different window when you click on them?? in the demo im not sure if it did that or not.

Thanks
Zach

lightsoutgolf
07-12-2008, 04:01 PM
nevermind .... figured that out in the .js files ... thanks again john!

Rob (SA)
10-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi John,

I have been using omnislide well for the past couple of years but now since I updated my index page it is playing up.

Please can you advise as to the problem?

My site is www.gnjgf.co.za and hosted with vodahost

Kind Regards
Rob

jscheuer1
10-07-2008, 05:18 AM
Hi John,

I have been using omnislide well for the past couple of years but now since I updated my index page it is playing up.

Please can you advise as to the problem?

My site is www.gnjgf.co.za and hosted with vodahost

Kind Regards
Rob

There could be other problems with the page at:

www.gnjgf.co.za

but the main problem with the menu is that it isn't reading the:

mmenu.js

file correctly. It is either corrupt, or there is some sort of problem with the way your host is serving it. First try replacing it with a fresh copy direct from the demo page:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/omnislide/mmenu.js

Make sure to empty the browser's cache before viewing the result.

If that doesn't 'get it' we will have to track down where/why your host isn't serving it correctly, or you could link to a good copy of it on another host, provided you have permission to do so.