PDA

View Full Version : Advanced online form

smappler
06-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi I'm trying to make a form which users can use to sign up for a fantasy league for mountain biking similar to fantasy football where users pick players at the start and earn points when they score goals etc. however in this case it is mountain bikers when they win races.

anyway back to the point...

I'm struggling with making a form which can collect all the information that we require which is:

name, email address, the 6 riders chosen by the user ( there will be a few 100 riders to choose from on the proper entry form)

I have made a mockup/attempt at the form here:

http://www.dirtyhalfpipe.co.uk/fmtb/ftmb.html

each rider costs a certain amount of money, so the user has a certain amount of money to spend. The user must select 2 riders from each category giving them a total of 6 riders. and the cost of these must not exceed a pre-set amount of 'cash' they have. So the name of the person, their email address and the 6 riders they have selected are then emailed to an email address(me) or entered into a DB.

I'm wondering if this(JS) is the best way to go about making this kind of form and if there are any other methods which could be used to do it. so instead of using a form the user could drag the riders they want into an area to add them to the team?

your thoughts and opinions are very welcome.

thanks,
Sam.

smappler
07-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Anyone?

jscheuer1
07-06-2008, 03:42 PM
If you were to use javascript, you should decide if you are going to require javascript for user participation or not, and if so, if you are willing to have it handle all of the tasks.

A server side language like PHP or asp is more suited to the nuts and bolts of storing the results and validating (like making sure that the 'salary cap' is adhered to) them in any sort of bulletproof manner.

Javascript could be used to make the interface more interesting (with or without more boring looking yet functional fall backs for non-javascript enabled users), or it could handle all the tasks, but it wouldn't be all that secure, anyone good at javascript could probably cheat.

smappler
07-06-2008, 06:48 PM
hi jscheuer.

thanks for the response, it sounds like php is a good way to do it then as i have this on my server, i also have a mysql DB which i could use to store what is submitted from the form. However my only problem is i have no knowledge of using php with forms. Nothing special needs to be done with the information submitted at this stage as it will just be sorted manually by hand from the database or emails.

making it more aesthetic would be good aswell.

Would you be able to help me make a form which uses php?

thanks

Sam.

allahverdi
07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
hi, smappler. I think i could help you.

First of all learn php. I will try to answer to all your questing.

Php tutorials: http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/

Start here...

If you have problems post it in php forum