PDA

View Full Version : Jim's DHTML Menu 5.7 Browser Compatibility Issues

creative
06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
http://ranger.websitewelcome.com/~simaging

I have installed Jim's DHTML menu and it seems to be working fine in most browsers with the exception of IE 5+ The secondary level of the menu seems disabled. I have reviewed the code and appears fine. Please help. I am also trying to fix the position of the menu to stay with the content of the web site.

Thanks
Creative

jscheuer1
06-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Upgrade to IE6

creative
06-20-2005, 07:39 PM
trouble with 6.0 as well. Won't read secondary menu levels.

jscheuer1
06-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Actually that was a 'trick' question disguised as an answer. Anyways, the demo works fine in IE6, no? Yes, just checked. I can see your quandary, your page works error free in FF but in IE6, gives errors and doesn't work. It is your config.js - The color 'gray' is spelled 'gray' not 'grey' as you have it. This doesn't seem to bother Mozilla but, IE - look out! I just did a global search and replace all on 'grey' to 'gray' on your config.js and everybody's happy now.

creative
06-21-2005, 07:46 PM
ok thanks.

GL

creative
06-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Ok, how about the positioning from the first request? any takers?

Creative

jscheuer1
06-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Seems ok in IE, if a little too far left. In Mozilla, it moves all over the place on resize. Try setting the 'float'* at 800x600 instead of 1024x768. I've heard that works better. Make sure to set your resolution to 800x600 first and be ready to adjust the other values.

*instead of:

menus[0].floatMenu(1024, 768, 10, 0);

use:

menus[0].floatMenu(800, 600, 10, 0);

adjust the 10 as needed and perhaps the 0.

Invoke this function to float the main menu, so it remains relatively positioned on the page (see "example3.htm" for demo). Here's an example:

menus[0].floatMenu(1024, 768, 10, 0);

1024 is the base screen width (i.e. the screen width the menu was originally positioned on) and the 768 is the corresponding screen height. The 0 is how you want the menu's positioned (i.e. horizontally, vertically or both [0, 1, 2]).He never really says what the 10 is for.

OR maybe don't use the float option.

creative
06-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Thanks I'll try that. Did you notice in IE6.0 that the menu fades in instead of pops? All the other browsers pop like a normal menu. Is there a function I missed in the settings that would allow it to pop in IE 6?

GL

jscheuer1
06-22-2005, 04:49 AM
The fade thing is a true/false setting:
22) This parameter, if set to true, will tell the script to display sub-menus using a transitional effect, given by you, the programmer, in the next parameter. These transitions will only work in PC versions of Internet Explorer numbered 5.5 and above. (false)it is one of the last parameters:
false, 0, true, 5, 5, "gray");the red one there (only the end of a line of code is shown here).

creative
06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Thank you. I am sorry to be such a newbie. I have removed the float but it still won't stay still. Any ideas? Last one I promise. This thread is over.

C

jscheuer1
06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Well, the trouble is that without the float, the menu is stuck at a certain x/y coordinate. Your other content moves around as the page is resized because it is centered. With the float, the menu stays at the same spot relative to the borders of the window but, since your main content's width is fixed (primarily by that 800px wide image), it cannot resize itself below that width as the dimensions of the window change. The easiest way would be to left align your page. That way, with or without the float, the menu stays in the same spot as the rest of your content. Another alternative would be to use a menu that is more html based. Since you are only using one level of submenus, the anylink drop down menu could work. There are tons of others.