PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with HV Menu v5.41

johnsonart
06-20-2005, 06:18 PM
We are having trouble implementing this menu. The links in the menu take you to other pages which live in different folders. These paths are specified in the menu code. However, when you click a link in the menu, it always bases the link off the directory that the user is currently browsing in.

For instance:

I am browsing the "products.htm" page, in the root directory.
I click a link in the menu which takes me to "/productpages/widgets/widg1.htm"
It takes me where I want to go.

However, if I am on the page "/productpages/widgets/widg1.htm", here is where I run into problems:

If I click a link in the menu which takes me to "/productpages/widgets/widg2.htm", it gets lost.
The code seems to double up the path name like this:

http://rootdirectory/productpages/widgets/productpages/widgets/widg2.htm

Instead of basing the path off the directory that the menu file lives in, it bases it off the page that the user is browsing.

Obviously this runs into a problem when you are trying to use the same menu for a website with html pages in multiple directories. I want to use the same menu file to be able to navigate from pages in the root, as well as pages in subdirectories. Is this not possible?

Creating a separate menu file for every subdirectory in the website would be a huge headache. We may need to change the items on our menu frequently. It would be silly if we had to change this menu file in 20 different subdirectories.

How do people get around this?

jscheuer1
06-20-2005, 06:53 PM
The easiest solution to explain is to use absolute urls in the menu code, ex:

http://www.some.com/productpages/widgets/widg1.htm

However, using:

/productpages/widgets/widg1.htm

should work (assuming the domain is the root), this will not:

productpages/widgets/widg1.htm

johnsonart
06-20-2005, 09:14 PM
you are awesome! I don't know how that little character was left out. I thought this was automatically generated somehow, but maybe someone typed it by hand and forgot it. Definitely did the trick!