PDA

View Full Version : Jim's DHTML Menu V5.7 -

mko
05-31-2008, 01:42 AM
1) Script Title: Jim's DHTML Menu V5.7

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/jimmenu/index.htm

3) Describe problem:
I am using the above menu system. One of the main things I wanted is for the menu bar to stay at the top of the page when scrolling.

I cannot get the "menus[0].floatMenu(1024, 768, 10, 0);" to work, when I test with this function it simply scrolls off the screen and does not come back.

Everything else works fine and you can see the webiste I am making at
http://members.iinet.net.au/~scious/Genealogy/IrelandMonarchs.htm - this site is primarily for my own use.

Thanks for any help
Mark

function init()
{
//Main Menu items:
menus[0] = new menu(25, "horizontal", 60, 0, -2, -2, "img:images/menu1.gif", "img:images/background2.jpg", "Verdana,Helvetica", 9,
"bold", "bold", "black", "white", 3, "white", 2, "rollover:images/tri-down1.gif:images/tri-down2.gif", false, true, true, true, 12, true, 4, 4, "#CACAFF");
//"#CACAFF", "#0000A0"
menus[0].addItem("index.html", "_top", 110, "center", "Home", 0);
menus[0].addItem("Cemeteries(WA)Frames.htm", "_top", 120, "center", "Cemeteries", 0);
menus[0].addItem("LinksFrames.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "Links", 0);
menus[0].addItem("OMalley.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "OMalley", 0);
menus[0].addItem("OMalley.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "Scully", 0);
menus[0].addItem("Healy.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "Healy", 0);
menus[0].addItem("Healy.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "Rowland", 0);
menus[0].addItem("Keown.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "Keown", 0);
menus[0].addItem("Ireland.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "Ireland", 1);
menus[0].addItem("England.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "England", 2);
menus[0].addItem("Names.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "Names", 3);
menus[0].addItem("Research.htm", "_top", 110, "center", "Research", 0);
menus[0].addItem("Family.htm", "_top", 115, "center", "Family Bits", 0);
menus[0].floatMenu(1024, 768, 10, 0);

//Sub Menu for 2nd Main Menu Item ("Ireland"):
menus[1] = new menu(220, "vertical", 0, 0, -5, -5, "#CACAFF", "#0000A0", "Verdana,Helvetica", 9, "bold",
"bold", "black", "white", 1, "gray", 2, 62, false, true, false, true, 6, true, 4, 4, "black");
menus[1].addItem("Ireland.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "Ireland", 0);
menus[1].addItem("IrelandTruth.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "The Truth", 0);
menus[1].addItem("IrelandOMalleyGrace.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "Grace O'Malley", 0);
menus[1].addItem("IrelandMonarchs.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "Monarchy", 0);
menus[1].addItem("IrelandClans&Chieftans.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "Clans & Chieftans", 0);
menus[1].addItem("IrelandHeraldry.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "Heraldry", 0);

//Sub Menu for 3rd Main Menu Item ("England"):
menus[2] = new menu(220, "vertical", 0, 0, 0, 0, "#CACAFF", "#0000A0", "Verdana,Helvetica", 9, "bold",
"bold", "black", "white", 1, "gray", 2, "rollover:images/tri-right1.gif:images/tri-right2.gif", false, true, false, false, 0, true, 4, 4, "black");
menus[2].addItem("England.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "England", 0);
menus[2].addItem("England.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "England", 0);

//Sub Menu for 3rd Main Menu Item ("Names"):
menus[3] = new menu(220, "vertical", 0, 0, 0, 0, "#CACAFF", "#0000A0", "Verdana,Helvetica", 9, "bold",
"bold", "black", "white", 1, "gray", 2, "rollover:images/tri-right1.gif:images/tri-right2.gif", false, true, false, false, 0, true, 4, 4, "black");
menus[3].addItem("NamesMac&O.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "Mac & O in Names", 0)
menus[3].addItem("NamesOMalleyOrigin.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "O'Malley Origins", 0);
menus[3].addItem("NamesOMalleyDistortion.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "O'Malley Distortion", 0);
menus[3].addItem("NamesRowlandOrigin.htm", "_top", 22, "left", "Rowland Origins", 0);

} //OUTER CLOSING BRACKET. EVERYTHING ADDED MUST BE ABOVE THIS LINE.

jscheuer1
05-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Unfortunately, DD doesn't always keep all of its scripts current or remove outmoded scripts from its script library. That menu is dead or nearly so. And I don't believe it was designed to always stay at the top of the window, even when it did work. For more on this menu's demise:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23321

'Caveat emptor', even when its free.

mko
06-01-2008, 05:20 AM
Hi John
Thanks for your reply, although the news could have been better. I really like this menu. Thanks for the links, I made the change for opera.

This menu still works for me and I havent been able to find a java one that is so easy to use.

Mark

Example 3 was designed to float the menu.

Description for function menu.floatMenu()

Invoke this function to float the main menu, so it remains relatively positioned on the page (see "example3.htm" for demo). Here's an example:

menus[0].floatMenu(1024, 768, 10, 0);

jscheuer1
06-01-2008, 06:22 AM
That's not the type of 'float' that is meant. What is meant is that, since the menu is ordinarily absolutely positioned, it would appear in various places on the page depending upon the dimensions of the window. This 'float' technique - when it works - is designed to allow the menu to be placed in a spot that will be the same regardless of the window's width.

mko
06-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I will stop wanting it to do something its not designed for them - doh.

A big vote of this menu being updated. Its a great little menu and so easy to keep all the pages updated by changing the config.js file only.