PDA

View Full Version : SD-512 Ram installed

Hb-Tech
05-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi all.

I want to upgrade my PC with new Modem and some advance memory. I have SD-512 Ram installed; will i be able to install fast memory, which helps me to work faster.
i.e will the speed of new memory drop to the speed of the old memory?

Thanks for any help in advanced.

andres
05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Yes, If you get RAM that is faster than your current RAM, it will run at the slower speed. Check with your motherboard and see what it supports, you could always get new faster RAM and discard your old stick. (As long as your motherboard supports it).

Otherwise get RAM that is the same speed as your current stick.

tfit
05-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi all.

I want to upgrade my PC with new Modem and some advance memory. I have SD-512 Ram installed; will i be able to install fast memory, which helps me to work faster.
i.e will the speed of new memory drop to the speed of the old memory?

Thanks for any help in advanced.

I would have opted for buying a new motherboard. SD is rare this days, so more expensive. You probably could have bought a motherboard for that. With fast memory you mean edo? If so, just stick to sd-ram.

andres
05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
He's looking at $30.00 to double his memory, or $40+ for a cheap motherboard + new ram'

I'd say its still cheaper to go with your current RAM, unless you want to upgrade something else your motherboard does not support.

tfit
05-30-2008, 02:32 PM
He's looking at $30.00 to double his memory

Are we talking about SD or DDR? $30.00 looks really cheap to me. At least I'm not getting it here.

andres
05-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I've seen 512 sticks of SD for $30.00 as well as DDR. All online of course, I havn't looked in a retail store for SD in years.
Never really been to a computer hardware store other than fry's that was worthwile.