PDA

View Full Version : RAM question

Diversions
05-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I have an IBM computer that currently has 256mg of RAM and am going to increase it by adding another 256 that apparently is the maximum allowed on this NetVista machine.
The question is this! I have been shopping around and the average price seems to be about 50 dollars whereas on ebay they are available for about 10 and since I am always on the lookout for a GOOD deal (not cheap) I am wondering if it is possible to purchase a RAM board that has a preloaded virus or trojan that I would not know about. I realize this is possibly an insignificant question but I would like to put my mind to rest with some guidance from someone who knows about this sort of thing since I clearly do not.

Thanks for your help.

boogyman
05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
its possible but very unlikely

lainlives
05-16-2008, 03:02 AM
it is not possible for RAM to have anything on it at all after the power to it is stopped, when the ram loses power all data on it loses power, id be more afraid of buying ram that is dead or just not working for other reasons

Diversions
05-16-2008, 09:08 AM
I agree Lainlives! However I just bought one on ebay for a total of 12.oo including shipping. If it doesn't work when I get it I will go to my computer store and buy it properly. If it works I save 50 dollars and if it doesn't I pay 12.dollars more for it. It is a reasonable bet.

Thank you for your assistance. Your observation is quite valid.