PDA

View Full Version : PC freezes

ff123
05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
my computer hangs while operating and i have to restart.. is it a fan problem?

boogyman
05-14-2008, 12:24 PM
possibly... what are you doing at the time?

if you are running any specific programs let us know what they are

ff123
05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
just photoshop, flash and frontpage and Internet explorer...

jscheuer1
05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
just photoshop, flash and frontpage and Internet explorer...

Oh good, I was worried it might be some resource intensive programs. :D

If you mean one of the Flash MX flash creation programs, that can be pretty intensive though. So can PhotoShop, depending upon what you're doing in it. IE is no wimp either, just less intense than the other two.

What makes you think its the fan? Unless there is some problem with the fan, it shouldn't cause a freeze. Even then, it is more likely that your chips or power supply would just burn out from the heat with a malfunctioning fan, rather than the computer lock up and then be OK on reboot. Is it OK right away, or do you need to let it 'cool off'. What kind of computer is it?

I guess it could be the fan, is it making unusual noises? Still, this is unlikely. You could do an unscientific test by using an alternative method for cooling the computer. This is rather easy with a desktop, just get a small fan such as might be used around the house, open the case and point the fan at the power supply or whatever component you think has a malfunctioning fan. If this added cooling takes care of the problem, I guess it is the fan. I say unscientific, because your results could just be coincidence. Repeated tests with and without the added fan would be required to confirm any promising results. However, if the added cooling does no good, it's really even less likely that it's the fan.

With a laptop, put in the fridge for 15 minutes, see if that helps.

If it's not the fan:

Make sure you aren't running low on memory and that you have a decent enough CPU for what you are running on it. Scan for viruses, malware, etc. to eliminate them as possible causes. Remove programs from the system tray if there are any there that don't need to be. Defrag your HD, if needed. Get and use a good registry cleaner.

boogyman
05-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Photoshop and Flash are very intensive by themselves, and LOL if you were running them at the same time. if you have an older computer and you are "barely" meeting the system requirements not only for storage but operations, then that's probably the cause of your troubles...

I should have asked this in the beginning but by "freeze up" do you mean it reboots automatically, or that you just cannot do anything (eg move mouse, click links ...) for long periods of time.

If its the former, then I would very much agree with John saying its the fan... a couple years ago I ran photoshop cs2 on a very old laptop, and just starting the program made me not be able to do anything and every 1hr or so it would just randomly shut off, making me restart it. needless to say... i didnt' use CS2 very often on that beast.

ff123
05-14-2008, 03:59 PM
my system was working fine even i run photoshop, flash or No.. well my pc started getting reboot itself.. i opened the case and cleaned out the fan after that automatic reboot problem fixed.. but now it Freez.. so i think is from fan not software...

jscheuer1
05-14-2008, 04:19 PM
If it's a desktop, replacing the fan is pretty easy and inexpensive. RadioShack has 'muffin fans' as they are called. Just make sure you get one that uses the same voltage and current of the one you are replacing.

You could also still try just using a household fan to supplement the cooling, as I mentioned before.