PDA

View Full Version : Few Ubuntu Questions

cancer10
05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi

First of all let me tell you that I am new to Linux. I downloaded Ubuntu Server Edition 8.04 from their official site. I have installed it successfully. Now I have few questions.

Q. 1) I see its a text based OS. So does not the server edition come with a GUI?

Q. 2) I want the GUI for this, So how can I get the GUI. I do not have an internet connection on the PC where I installed it hence cannot download any updates (if I need to). Any alternate solution?

Q. 3) If I download the desktop edition, does it come with a GUI?

Q. 4) After installing the desktop edition, can I configure LAMP easily on it? Will it support LAMP?

Please help me :)

Thanx

thetestingsite
05-12-2008, 07:31 PM
The server edition is a command line only interface; hence no GUI. If you download and install the desktop edition, it comes with either the KDE or Xface (I think that was one of the options) GUI (can't remember off the top of my head). As for configuring LAMP, you could do it using either version but installing the items separately is easy as well.

Hope this helps.

Xenocide001
05-13-2008, 03:41 AM
The server edition is a command line only interface; hence no GUI. If you download and install the desktop edition, it comes with either the KDE or Xface (I think that was one of the options) GUI (can't remember off the top of my head). As for configuring LAMP, you could do it using either version but installing the items separately is easy as well.

Hope this helps.

the desktop edition comes with GNOME.. kubuntu comes with kde and xubuntu comes with xfce..

cancer10
05-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Thanx for the reply.

I got this link on how to install LAMP on ubuntu http://www.howtoforge.com/lamp_installation_ubuntu6.06

The tutorial shows the following command to install apache:

sudo apt-get install apache2

does not this command connect to the internet and download packages? If yes, then I do not have an internet connection. Any alternative on how to install LAMP?

BYK
05-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Yes it does. Alternatively I suggest you to use BitNami package for LAMP which can be found at here: http://bitnami.org/product/lampstack

tfit
05-13-2008, 09:09 AM
What am I missing here? Why do you ask for LAMP? It's already there.
The whole purpose of a server edition is the have only server services.
I think you want a Gui to control the servers!?

cancer10
05-13-2008, 09:16 AM
I think you want a Gui to control the servers!?

Correct. Could you please help me with this?

tfit
05-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Not at the moment. There are some interesting programs out there, but I need time to strip them out and combine them together.

BYK
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
He was asking for LAMP in the Desktop Edition. For server, as you know, there is no GUI. But the great point you catched is, in niether version there isn't a GUI for LAMP :)

tfit
05-13-2008, 12:12 PM
He was asking for LAMP in the Desktop Edition. For server, as you know, there is no GUI. But the great point you catched is, in niether version there isn't a GUI for LAMP :)

I wouldn't say there is no GUI. There is phpMyAdmin and there are separate GUI's too.

BYK
05-13-2008, 08:24 PM
I meant a complete Apache or PHP GUI. I know phpMyAdmin and some other tools like that. Also I know some tools for Apache but they are still evolving :)