PDA

View Full Version : Extended Desktop

neo_philiac
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey guys,

On a windows extended desktop (two monitors - extended screen) is there a way to make any internet browser full screen? So, what I am asking is the browser to be full screen on the whole extended desktop not just one monitor. The only way is to stretch the window but I want full screen with no bars (none - just like in full screen). I am trying to use a visual stimulation program which is browser based.

Please help :D

TimFA
05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
You mean like whenever you press F11? Have you tried stretching it across then pressing F11? If that doesn't work then I don't know of any way to do it, since I don't have extended desktops I can't really experiment sorry.

thetestingsite
05-09-2008, 05:07 PM
I really don't think that it is possible to do. I just tried all the things I could think of on my extended desktop setup, but no luck on anything. Sorry.

Jas
05-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Why would you want to? No layout on the web is design to work between two screens like that. At best, the layout would have a large gap in the middle (Although if the screens are set up vertically, I guess it wouldn't look too bad).

I'm pretty sure that it's impossible as well. I tried myself and could not make it work.

djr33
05-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Jas-- it could be a design set specifically to the pixel dimensions of both screens, thus taking into account the gap. (Sounds like this isn't something for the web, but more his personal use.)

I don't have an answer, though. Perhaps try a few browsers and see if anything happens to work like that. On the other hand, perhaps you could just try using two windows.

Jas
05-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Gotcha. But why not just use one screen with the correct resolution? I have one that goes up to 1920 X 1200-- and some screens/ graphic cards can probably go even bigger. Besides, call me a pessimist, but I think checking the full screen concept is going to be a dead end-- a program usually seeks to maximize relative to the current screen, not the entire desktop. Only some specially designed programs actually stretch to both screens (such as some graphic or game building programs).

djr33
05-11-2008, 01:42 AM
I don't really disagree with you, but I think the reason is pretty simple-- he wants more space (not just more resolution), and he doesn't have a huge monitor-- just two regular sized monitors. And big monitors are expensive.

neo_philiac
05-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Thank you guys vary much for all your reply but I guess it could be a html question. Is there a way I can get the browser to extend to the other screen in full screen mode ? I know there is no straight forward way but any workaround? Its not just for my personal use. I am developing a flash program but I want it to spread throughout the screens. Let me know if there is any way. :))

djr33
05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
There isn't an absolute answer here-- if it works, it works. If not, well, keep trying, but it's just not how programs are generally designed. It really depends on the system as well.... I can certainly do it on my Mac, but that is to say I can stretch the window, not actually run fullscreen mode using both screens.

Jas
05-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Well, if you want the difficult way to go, you could essentially split the page in half, and have the user open up two windows and full size them both. You might be able to use AJAX on one page to figure out if the URL on window the other window changed. But that would be pretty tough, I think. It would take a lot of server side work.

Like djr33 said, if it works, it works. There's never really a "right" or "wrong" answer in programing or web development (but there is valid and invalid ;)).

lambda09a
07-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey all

I just had to put a message out there for people who don't know about this feature in Wow (World of Warcraft) . For a while now I've been wanting to have WoW in fullscreen on one monitor while being able to read things etc on another monitor. Well there's a handy little feature in Wow properties that allows Windows Mode - Maximised which has the game in fullscreen, no frame or anything, while being able to move the mouse to the other screen and do whatever. This would involve having the windows extend desktop enabled (btw, if you plugged your 2nd mon in while your pc was on, I had to reboot and then the extend windows desktop option became available).

I hope this will help someone :)