PDA

View Full Version : A Web form not working properly

Felix K Lenep
05-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Hello,

I have a website and a form page that I wanted viewers to fill in their details like Name, address, email, & comment and when they click on the send button it will come to my email address ie felix.kondon@gmail.com

It's working ok BUT the actual message is send as an attachment (postdata.att) if i have enctype = "Multipart/form-data". But if I have enctype = "text/plain" Iam recieving a message as "message_body".

My big issue is iam recieving the email ok but I can't see the actual comment/message.

Please assist me. If you want i can give you the simple code.

Many thanks.
Felix Lenep.

Medyman
05-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Please assist me. If you want i can give you the simple code..

Yes, please. We're not mind readers :p Post your code and someone will help you figure out what's going on here.

Felix K Lenep
05-08-2008, 04:04 AM
Hi
Thanks for your comments. The code is as follows: As i said iam recieving email from users through the email below but I can't see or read the actual message.
Thanks, fklenep.

<script>
function update_message_body ()
{
var username = document . input_form . username . value;
var comment = document . input_form . comment . value;
var email = document . input_form . email . value;
document . proxy_form . message_body . value =
"Greetings.\n"
+ "\n"
+ "I have a comment for you. It is:\n"
+ "\n"
+ "\t" + comment + "\n"
+ "\n"
+ "Sincerely,\n"
+ username + "\n";

return true;
}
</script>

<form name ="proxy_form"
method ="post"
enctype ="text/plain"
action ="mailto:felix.kondon@gmail.com?subject=Your New Village Regislation Bill"
onSubmit="return update_message_body ();">
<input type=hidden name="message_body">
<input type=submit value="send mail">
</form>

Medyman
05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
You might want to give this (http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol3/form_no4.htm) a read. The way you're doing it is not recommended at all.

Do you have access to PHP on your server?

Felix K Lenep
05-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Hi thanks for your reply.

I do not have access to the server.

Would it be possible if you could submit a simple html code for me.
thanks & appreciate toy time & effort.

Felix

Medyman
05-09-2008, 02:23 AM
You might have misunderstood me. You don't need access to the server. PHP just needs to be installed on it. If you're not sure, you can run a simple test (http://help.mosso.com/article.php?id=082).

Otherwise, the form you're using is fine. But as you found out from that article, there is no guarantee that the method you use will work. I *might* sometimes and might not others.

Javascript cannot send mail. So, for reliable and secure feedback forms, you need some sort of server side language -- ASP or PHP.

If you don't have PHP (or ASP for windows servers) you might want to look into the tons of free services around the net that will host forms for you (usually contains lots of ads). Bravenet (http://www.bravenet.com/) is one I believe.