PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet disconnection annoyances

Rockonmetal
05-07-2008, 01:30 AM
My Gateway computer is pretty old and has been very nice to me, it is about 4 years old and uses Windows XP. Recently it only disconnected the wireless connection when it overloaded. Now it seems to disconnect and reconnect whenever it feels like it. Like when I'm watching something on youtube, downloading music, or downloading the essay I emailed to myself because the printers at my school couldn't print.
It seems to disconnect every 10/15 minutes. It is extremely annoying.
I really want to either totally eliminate the problem or find out what is causing.
I am sure it is not the network because my dad's computer *dell xps* never has any wireless connection problems. But mine continues to disconnect and reconnect.
I appreciate any and all help on this!
If you need more info ask...
Thanks!

thetestingsite
05-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Have you tried to reinstall the drivers for the wireless card in your computer? If that doesn't help, try going back to a restore point before this issue and see if that fixes your problem. Those are just some simple suggestions I can make at this time.

Hope this helps.

Gorkfu
05-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Do you have any extra usb wifi adapters lying around to test with?

I had one crap out on me last year and it ended up being the adapter overheated somehow. They can go in and out or just stop working, mine went in and out just like your describing.

Rockonmetal
05-07-2008, 03:13 AM
thetestingsite:
I'll try reinstalling the drivers probably tomorrow... Unfortunately my roll back date for the driver was set 3 days ago... Someone decided it was a good idea to do it??? *Wasn't me...* Thanks man...
Gorkfu:
I don't have any wifi adapters because I think my wireless card is internal. Thanks though...

tech_support
05-07-2008, 04:59 AM
If you're good at the hardware side of computers, you could open your laptop up and buy a wireless network card for laptops on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Intel-Pro-Wireless-2200-Mini-PCI-802-11g-MiniPCI-I1_W0QQitemZ190218448766QQihZ009QQcategoryZ101281QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), then fix it in.