PDA

View Full Version : help with right click protection on my site

davidfarinha
05-05-2008, 04:01 PM
1) Script Title: help with right click protection on my site

2) Script URL (on DD): www.davidfarinha.com

3) Describe problem: Hello, as per this site, i copied and pasted the code, regarding "Disable right mouse click script", but, when i tested my site, it did not work. (ie. the right click function was still possible)

how can we correct this?

David

jscheuer1
05-06-2008, 05:31 AM
It's an old script, perhaps your browser has settings that prevent it from working. In any case, even when it does work, it cannot prevent even a slightly persistent person from copying your page.

There is no copy protection on the web other than copyright law, which protects all original content on the web without you needing to do anything other than publish it. If that isn't sufficient to protect your content, then you shouldn't be publishing.

davidfarinha
05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
thanks for thats.

john, do you have an ideas for animations, which i can use on my site? (ie. when a client clicks on a specific animation, it will open a new webpage)

David

jscheuer1
05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
If you want help with animations, you should ask in the appropriate area. However, just in general, three main methods spring to mind. It depends upon how complex the animation might be. For fairly simple animations, there are animated .gif images, which are just image files after all, so can be linked just like any image. Then there is Flash, which can support very complex animation (as well as simple), and if you are somewhat well schooled (I'm not) in its Action Script language, are fairly easy to set up. Flash can have links built in. The third is only good for certain things, it's javascript. Javascript can animate images and other elements, and since they are only elements, some or all of them may be given links, either hard coded in HTML or assigned via the javascript that is running the animation. However, unlike Flash, javascript isn't multi-threaded, so things must be at least a bit on the simple side - although crafty use can make it appear quite slick. And unlike animated .gif animation, if a number of images are used, even ones as simple as those animated .gif can support, it will add up to a fairly big byte load. So for anything really big or complex, Flash is probably your best bet, as, if properly written, can stream content.

There are other methods, but these three above more than adequately represent in my opinion the spectrum of techniques as far as design and usability goes, and they are the most widely supported.