PDA

View Full Version : Getting 'Browser Check Errors' On Script

serverparts
05-02-2008, 11:16 AM
1) Script Title: Drop Down Tabs (5 styles)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/droptabmenu.htm

3) Describe problem: This script works just fine for me under IE 6.0, but Dreamweaver MX2004 reports errors under 'Browser Support Check'. Some examples are:

* The xml:lang attribute of the HTML tag is not supported (includes IE 6.0)
* The rel attribute of the A tag is not supported (includes IE 6.0)

There are 5 other 'errors' beside these.

I'm running IE 6.0 and it works fine for me, should I be concerned that others might have problems?

Thank you,

Peter.

jscheuer1
05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
You should always be concerned about the viability of your pages on the internet where folks will be using all sorts of browsers. That said, unless you get an error in a browser, these sort of warnings in an editor aren't worth much with scripts. With scripts, an editor is often trying to interpret the script code as HTML code, or it just isn't seeing the page the way a browser would. Many editors just don't support script debugging, I think the one you mention is one of those.

However, the two warnings you have in your post are accurate, they just don't have any significant effect on the script. In the first case, you shouldn't be using xml or XHTML, doing so could affect layout such that fewer browsers will lay out your page in the same manner (they will probably still be pretty close, but you are better off with straight HTML 4.01 strict or transitional), other than that, it won't affect the script. In the second case, the rel attribute is not supported by IE 6. It has a separate functionality in browsers that do support it. However, in the case of this script, it is simply used to hold data for the script and will function in that regard whether or not its other HTML functionality is supported by a given browser.