PDA

View Full Version : Anylink CSS Drop Down Menu Display Quirk

bkdell11
06-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi

I'm using the Anylink CSS Drop Down menu and am getting this odd display quirk.

I want to put each individual link inside one cell of table. I have 8 cells horizontally. The problem is if I specify the table width of 100% or a width greater than 670, a horizontal space is created that makes a horizontal scroll bar appear in the browser (both IE and Firefox), the space is just white space. The table does not stretch off the screen and in fact falls well short of it.

The quirk is that if I mouse over the last menu to make that drop-down appear, the horizontal space will disappear and the page goes back to normail (no horizontal scroll bar).

I'm baffled as to why this happens. If I need to post some code, let me know

Thanks

jscheuer1
06-09-2005, 06:31 PM
The problem is if I specify the table width of 100% or a width greater than 670Like the doctor said when I told him, "Doc, it hurts when I go like this, uhgn . ." -- "Well, don't go like that then."

Seriously, the box model in IE has it so that a table of width 100%, depending upon its content, will often not fit on a page.

bkdell11
06-09-2005, 06:55 PM
But this also occurs in Firefox/Mozilla as well. I'm looking at the script trying to see if there is something that interferes with a table. To me, it seems the script is anticipating more space than needed and once you rollover the last menu, it realizes it doesn't need the space and gets rid of it.

Thanks for the reply

jscheuer1
06-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Probably it is the use of an off the page element to store drop down content until it is made visible. This script wasn't really meant to go in a table. If you can make it work in one just by not setting the table width too wide, that's a good thing. One thought though, if the script uses visibility:hidden and visibility:visible to switch content, you can experiment with substituting display:none and display:block.